Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted to buy agility equipment for Tucker for over a year now after I took him to an agility seminar last year. After saving up the money, Tucker partially tore his right ACL. He has been through 4 months of once a week physical therapy and is doing great. His physical therapist said that he is healthy enough now to use the agility equipment slowly and that it will actually help with his rehabilitation.

I just got him a competition dog walk, A-frame, and tunnel. I also got him a training weave pole setup. When he is fully healed, I plan on adding some jumps and a teeter totter.

Here's the setup so far in my backyard, Tucker LOVES it!

http://i1327.photobuck

[URL=http://s1327.photobucket.com/user/robgarfield/media/IMG_4435_zps9876a51c.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u670/robgarfield/IMG_4435_zps9876a51c.jpg

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a friend of mine walking Tucker trough the equipment.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! It was a big investment, but I feel so bad that Tucker can't run and play with his puppy friends while he is rehabbing, this gives him something fun to do until he's allowed to play again.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Zoe would love that!! I want to get her a few things, nothing like that scale. She's so high energy I think it would be a good outlet for her.

·
Registered
597 Posts
That is awesome! We want to get Sid into agility and are waiting for the next beginner class at a local place that runs agility activities. I can see our yard turning into that also lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
That is great! I have the room for it, not sure I have the funds for it but I think that it would be great for Demitri. Where did you find the equipment? Did you take him to a course first, or is it something that you just decided to do? Does it have to be on a hard surface or can it just be on grass?

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I took Tucker to a 2-day agility training seminar at a local training facility near my house. The first day was spent introducing the dogs and the owners to the equipment using positive reinforcement and lots of treats. The equipment can be very scary to the dogs at first. The second day we worked on the dogs confidence with the different obstacles and ran the course a few times. I knew then that I had to buy agility equipment for home, Tucker had such as blast.

I found the equipment online from affordableagility.com

They are located in NY near Rochester and ship the equipment by freight delivery. Everything was easy to put together and didn't require any tools, not even a screwdriver or hammer. I am very impressed with the quality. The frames are all aluminum and the boards are painted with a high quality exterior paint with sand embedded for traction.

The equipment does not have to be on a hard surface, it is actually more stable on grass or dirt where it can dig in a little. I find it easy to move the equipment around so I put it on the court to keep it out of the way until I cut the grass.

For those with less space to work with, you can find much smaller versions of the dog walk, A-frame, and tunnel, which can also be put in a U shape to take up less space as well. It is also possible to make much of the equipment on your own, and for a lot less money, if you are handier than me.

Tucker is so excited to go in the backyard and play on the obstacles, I know I made the right decision investing in the equipment. When he is done physical therapy, I'm going to have a puppy get-together at my house for any Boxer Forum members in or near NJ that want to bring their pups out to play on the equipment.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Wow!! The ultimate puppy playground! So cool!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Tucker is so excited to go in the backyard and play on the obstacles, I know I made the right decision investing in the equipment. When he is done physical therapy, I'm going to have a puppy get-together at my house for any Boxer Forum members in or near NJ that want to bring their pups out to play on the equipment.
Yay!!! Lol

When I first saw your post I thought "Ooh, if Tucker is doing agility maybe that means he's healed enough for a play date!" and then read that he isn't ready yet. :( But I'm excited for a puppy get together w agility equipment, lol.

Any word on about how much longer till he can play?

·
Registered
811 Posts
That is great! I have the room for it, not sure I have the funds for it but I think that it would be great for Demitri. Where did you find the equipment? Did you take him to a course first, or is it something that you just decided to do? Does it have to be on a hard surface or can it just be on grass?
U can order online just search agility equipment. Amazon has some pieces. We bought Dutch a "starter" kit off amazon that has the weave poles, pause box, high jump, tunnel. It's def not as elaborate as the one pictured in this post but...it serves the purpose and was affordable and Dutch loves it all the same. ~Misty~

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yay!!! Lol

When I first saw your post I thought "Ooh, if Tucker is doing agility maybe that means he's healed enough for a play date!" and then read that he isn't ready yet. :( But I'm excited for a puppy get together w agility equipment, lol.

Any word on about how much longer till he can play?
At his last physical therapy appointment they said to be safe they want him to do 4 more months of physical therapy before he is allowed to go back to full activity again. A lot longer than I was hoping, but I rather be safe and make sure he heals properly.

·
Registered
378 Posts
At his last physical therapy appointment they said to be safe they want him to do 4 more months of physical therapy before he is allowed to go back to full activity again. A lot longer than I was hoping, but I rather be safe and make sure he heals properly.
Oh wow! That seems like one heck of a long recovery time! I cant imagine trying to keep a boxer quiet & sane for that long - and my Ziva is pretty mellow. But of course you want to be safe & give him the time to be 110% healed.

So now I'm curious - what are you doing to keep him sane? That's such a long time to be kept quiet!

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He goes to physical therapy and walks/runs on an underwater treadmill once a week, which gets some pent up energy out. Other than that, I take him on daily walks for 30-45 minutes and we walk the agility course a few times a day. Obviously all that still doesn't let out as much energy as him running and playing like he used to be able to do, so if he gets restless we work on his obedience training. If I can't physically tire him out, at least I can mentally tire him a little.

After the first few weeks of being restless and wanting to run, he has caught on that for now he has to stay calm. I've been very proud of how well he as listened and stayed calm for the first 4+ months.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts