Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Boxer fanatics,

I have been on the forums for the last few months, taking in all of the info and trying to learn more about the breed before I got one.  Well, we've had Duke for a little over two weeks and I think he is doing very well.  I have two relatively simple questions.  One pertains to potty training.  We are practicing avoidance, just taking him out every hour to avoid the accident.  The problem is that we gated off our kitchen and living room and for the first 10 days or so only allowed him free reign of those rooms.  I think the issue is that I carry him to our back door to take him to potty.  Thus, he isn't going to the back door to tell us he has to go, partly because he didn't have access to the door until the last 5 days or so when we took the gates down.  

Which brings me to my question, how do I get him to go to the door?  The other issue is that he doesn't like to go outside to potty.  Its still in the 30's here in wonderful Wisconsin and he wants nothing to do with the cold.  

That leads me to question #2.  Because he doesn't want to be outside in the cold, he doesn't like to walk.  In fact, he will ONLY walk toward our house and I cannot coax him away from the house for a walk.  If I walk him out to the street he wants to go right back to the garage door, once there he won't budge, so I pick him up and go back to the street.  I know, good exercise for me, but he is only getting half the walk!!!

So, I ask how to turn the corner and get him walking to the door to let us know, any tricks for that would be great.  Otherwise, he hasn't pooped in the house in over a week, but he doesn't mind peeing any old place, so I have to catch him before he has the urge.  

At night he goes in his crate next to our bed and sleeps from 10:30pm until usually 5 or 6am, then he whines a little and I take him out and come back in to get another hour or two of sleep.  He also does not like his crate, but I think that is just going to take some time.  He's better at night with the crate, but doesn't like it during the day at all.

I guess that's it, sorry for the long post, any help would be great.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Welcome to you and Duke. How old is he?? Sounds like he's still pretty young and will improve with time. We had great success with bell training, there are some old  posts about this in the training section. I know how you feel trying to get puppies outside in the frozen tundra!!!!! We had a little poor planning on our part and have housetrained 2 winters in a row  8O Hard to convince a baby (or me) that it's fun to be outside in freezing weather.I'd suggest teaching him to walk on lead in the house, reward compliance like CRAZY. Then try some short jaunts outside, go crazy with treats for any  progress. He'll get the hang of it soon and hey, Springs just around the corner :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's just a little over 10 weeks.  Good idea with the lead in the house, I guess I just worry that putting the leash on means going potty, and I don't want that in the house?  But, we'll have to give it a shot and see what happens.  Thanks!

·
Registered
358 Posts
have you got any of them puppy pad things that you just lay out on the floor, they are scented with something that attracts the dog to p on it, leave it in a part of he room you spend most of your time in and every couple of days move them further towards the door so hey get used to the fact the have to go out to p

We got cassie at 8 weeks and think she was house trained by 11 weeks by using them mats, don't get me wrong i had loads down at the start and slowly put less down and moved them nearer to the door

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum, what seems to have worked for several people for potty training is to put him on his lead, connect it to you and that way you can catch him to take him out.  When he goes outside, praise him and give him treats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts