Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to grain-free, so two quick questions:

1. I see California Natural has formulas with no rice, but they contain barley, oatmeal/rolled oats. I presume this isn't a good option. Just checking...

2.  Has anyone heard/read anything about potatos being a cancer causing agent for dogs?  I came across an article saying how the recent trend of adding potato to dogs' diets is bad. Any thoughts?

thank you!

·
Registered
381 Posts
1.  If you have you mindset on going grain free than an oatmeal and barley containing dog food wouldn't be a good option.  I'm not sold though on the need to go grain free though.

2.  Never heard of such a thing, but it doesn't surprise me.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I feel better re the potatos. Thanks!  

The only reason we are trying the grain free is because of a potential allergy...Abby has had some bare spots on her skin and skin scrapings, etc have shown nothing. I have been told that she is too young to worry much about thyroid conditions so we are trying this first...if it doesn't work, we will move onto the thyroid testing.

She's been on canidae lamb and rice, so no poultry and I understand grains and poultry are two more common allergies...we'll see how it works!

Thanks!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Was she having problems on the lamb and rice?

Natural balance has fish & potato and duck & potato that are good choices for allergy concerns.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The skin problem was there when we got her at 5.5 months, we (and the vet) thought once she was on a good diet, they would clear up. But it hasn't gotten any better on the lamb and rice. In fact, as she has gotten bigger, the spots have become more visible.
We have actually started the NB fish & potato version (my reason for the potato question) but I was researching other good options to look into.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I think the fish and potato is a good grain free food. I've never heard of the potatoes being a cancer causing agent??? I know that sweet potato would be better than a white potato, nutritionally speaking. How is she doing on the Natural Balance?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, she loves it, but it's only been a couple days. We were told 4 weeks until we see any changes if it was an allergy causing it. Then yesterday, as we are 3 days into it, she figures out how to pop open the regular food container containing the lamb & rice and gobbles as much as she can before i pulled her away. I pulled her away while she had a MOUTH FULL which she swallowed in one big swallow, nearly choking, but wagging her tail the whole time.
So we are back to square one. I will let you know in 4 weeks! ahhaha!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I've never heard of potatoes causing cancer either. It will take at least a month for the dog to detoxify itself from their earlier diet. But make sure you only give the dog food and nothing else like treats or whatever.  When I give Chloe treats I just make them. I buy the sweet potato and herring in the soft food,  throw rounded tablespoons of it on a cookie sheet and bake them.  It stinks the house up really bad but nothing a few candles wont get rid of.  We have finally figured out Chloe's allergy and it was to milk products. Since I have cut out the dairy in her food, there

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
If you want to add some sweet potatoes try some of the Sam's Yam's Seet Potato dog chews, Kiah loves them.  Just make sure they don't eat them when they are alone as they can try to swallow to big a piece.  I find them at Mounds.

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/ ... 15000.aspx

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
[quote="ChloeBellesMommy\";p=\"12224":12u2d0nt]We have finally figured out Chloe's allergy and it was to milk products. Since I have cut out the dairy in her food, there

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Thanks Kiahsmom for the link to those! I'm gonna get some for Chloe.

Oh goodness Tootsie the road to finding it out sucked, not to mention the bald spots she was getting all over. That's why I feel so bad for AbbyandBrady because it's so frustrating at times. But thanks hun, I'm forever greatful we finally figured it out too!  :D

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I used to give her a tablespoon of plain organic yogurt in the morning mixed in with her food. Alternating between the yogurt and cottage cheese.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I know a lot of owners avoid all members of the nightshade family (potatoes, tomatoes etc.), but I think this is more because they can upset some dogs' stomachs more so than them being known carcinogens.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts