Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious as to how two male dogs from different litters would do together? I have heard having one of each sex makes it easier but does this mean that adding a male to a household that already has a male is a bad idea? I know many of you have done this i am wondering how it worked for you.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
It all depends on the dog.  Some will get along and some won't- although there is a better chance of two males getting along than two females.  If you already have one male and are looking for another the best thing to do is let them meet and see how they get along.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i have one male and just wondering if he would do ok with another male. Maverick my male is 6 mo old and very friendly so i was thinking that maybe because he is still young he may still take to having another man around the house. My cat is male, then maverick..if i did decide on another make id be in a house full of guys!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
LOL Supposedly you're not suppose to do the two male thing... but I really think it depends on the personality... and your role too of course. Nikki our FEMALE chihuahua... is very dominant and the alpha female... always fought for that right. She even puts Odin in his place! LOL WHICH is HILARIOUS!! I don't really think... personally sex has anything to do with it but more dominant/submissive... you know personalities.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i agree with that marie. I have had two cats together before and no problems and i have when i was a kid we always had a boy/girl combo but i knew people that had 2 guys or 2 girls together.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have two males together, but one is a Cairn Terrier & the other is Merlin the boxer. They get along great!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Voltaire is 3 years old and definitely not a dominant dog - he loves all other dogs - male or female they're all potential play mates. I'd love to get another male if my husband let me :(
Like it's been said above it's going to depend on the personality of the dog. Even a young puppy can be dominant. A couple of weeks ago Voltaire and my cousin's 3 month old newfoundland (yes she got the dog and is already showing signs of losing interest :x ) went to eat the same treat and it was the 3 month old that got extremely nasty and snarled and tried to bite my little boy!! In fact Voltaire was so vexed and shocked by this behaviour he lay down in a corner facing the wall and looked completely upset by the whole thing 8O He just couldn't seem to take on board that another dog could be mean! I had to give him a big hug before he'd stop sulking :) . My advice would be to let the dogs meet each other and choose carefully - don't pick a bully!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha maverick is like voltaire...come to think of it the only dogs he has played with are male and he is soooo good natured i couldnt picture him being evil to another dog!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
The rescue I use will almost never place two female boxers together but will place two males together.  The fosters that had Kiah have two males and the dog they are fostering now is a male (blind) and the three of them get along great.  I agree with the others, it depends on the dogs personality if they will be good together.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It really has a lot to do with personalities....Donna, our meetup co-ordinator has 3 boxers, 2 males & 1 female, they all get along great, oh sure I would imagine there are a few scrapes, but that happena even with just m/f combo....The main reason I am holding out for a puppy is due to Samson and his strong Alpha personality, he could not tolerate another male adult in his house, a pup is another matter....Like Barb said, even rescues are more willing to place a male in a house that already has a male, so it's not the issue as it can be with 2 females....Bottom line, know your dog, is he dominant, submissive? That will be the factor.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts