Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Baxter like i have stated before is 10 month old rescue who is super friendly just like any other boxer when he sees people.  My questions are as follow.

1. Any suggestions as to what i can do to stop him from automatically jumping on someone that wants to say hi to him.  i don't expect him to just sit there with not reaction or emotion but i also would rather him not jump on people.  After a couple of minutes, he does calm down and his attention goes to something else but stays at my side relatively calm.  

2. Any suggestions on when i can start leaving him alone without having to crate him?  How long should he be left alone at home at first?  He does sleep on his bed and not in a crate at night.

I am happy to inform that he has finally learned to sit at corners before we cross the street.  woohooooooo!!!!!  :D

any help is greatly appreciated

Hope all is well.  
Cheers

·
Registered
616 Posts
We practice the "sit to greet" method.  It takes a while and they sometimes do forget their manners.  I usually keep a close hold on their leashes because of that reason.  Treats work wonders.  We practice it with the rest of the family.

I'm glad he has learned to sit before crossing the streets.  With boxers, you must reinforce the training regularly.

I wouldn't think of leaving my two alone without them being crated.  Gunner especially!  He is my garbage gut with a cast iron stomach!  He eats everything and destroys anything in his path when left alone.  

Others have had success with theirs, but I do not think mine are old enough yet. (they are 1-1/2 and 1)

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Savannah is 2 and i still wont leave her alone- nor will i leave reese. They both take it upon themselves to forget all housetraining when we leave the house. The one time i tested them i had a big mess to clean up!!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
1. I'm still working on that one too, Lola is 5 months, she won't jump up on me but does to everyone else....you should have seen her in the pet store last night!  When she went to jump up on me I would back up and tell her to sit.  I'd hold my hand in the air (she probably thought I had a treat) while telling her to sit just so she could hear and see the command.  Once she sat I'd get down to her level (so she didn't have to jump up) and hug & kiss her!

2.  I'm lucky with this one, Lola isn't much of a chewer or anything.  I've gated off a small area in my kitchen that I'll leave her in when I go to shower.  If I leave the house for 3 hours or more I'll crate her.  If she's going to be alone while I'm at work I'll leave her in the kitchen from 9am to 1pm, then I'll come home and let her out and play with her, then it's back to work from 1:30-5pm.  I only live 10 minutes from work so it's easy for me to do this.  When I'm home she has free range of the house and she does great!  This took some time though for her to learn not to go the bathroom on the kitchen floor, we got her at 8 weeks and it's been about 4 weeks now with no accidents.  

I was told by a trainer that a puppy should not be left alone for more than 4 hours and an adult dog no longer than 6 hours.  Of course stuff comes up and people have to work...but that's the guidelines I try to follow.  We've left Lola longer than 4 hours and she was fine.....she was in her crate.  

Hopefully I've helped you a little and not just rambled on!  I think it all depends on the dog.  Good luck! :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
The "not jumping on people" thing is the hardest command to teach..Buck never did get it, Tia was good, Samson never has jumped, but Angel is a jumper, big time! I  found what works when she jumps on me and I don't want her to is to back up, then turn my back to her, what she then would do is jump on my back! Now that's not good at all, so it took some work to get her stop that, as I almost fell once...With company, I try to get them to ignore her when they come in the door( not easy sometimes) then also to have them back up on her....Kinda feel like I'm training my guests as well as her... :lol:

As for the crate thing, everybody has to make their own decision on that. I forget how long you have had Baxter, but at 10 mos, he's still a puppy and I would recomend continue crating..Samson isn't crated when we leave the house, but Angel is, I don't trust her yet and she's 22 mos! Contrary to what some people may tell you , it is not cruel to crate your boxer..Just the opposite actually. You could be saving their live if you think about it... :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts