Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ty has always been very confident and a bit bullish, 1 month ago we moved to San Diego. 3 days ago he was scared by the trash truck and now he fears every little noise. What can I do? Thanks in advance -D

·
Registered
621 Posts
The next time the trash truck comes put a leash and collar on him and have him sit next to you with his favortie toy when you hear it and I am sure he will too talk to him and pet him and sqeak his toy make like its not big deal and you hear it too . it must have scared him badly whatever they did out there was there anything else? Did someone throw a firecracker or something? Something has him pretty spooked I am sure he has heard the truck before maybe it was something else?

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
First welcome aboard and sorry your having problems. The "Good New's??" Is you've already made a great first step in going forward. IE well if I don't know the answer, I'll find someone that does! Beyond that the next step you need to take is to "Chill Out."

You can't help your dog if your freaked out and in the process make new mistakes, I tired that approach at first with my GSD ... it did not work. But "we," got better. :)

Ok to start ... "rehabbing him," as it were. IS going to consist of three thing's. None of which ...my seem readily apparently at first, but they work. :)

Walk Your Dog
Train the Place Command
And do "Sit on the Dog." Now that last one should be "Sit with the Dog," but they call it what they call it. :)

To get an idea of what your dealing with, most likely (A Fearful Dog) start here. :

And for the other two thing's most of the detail's can be found here.:

I don't "know," that he is "Fearful of Course." But "assuming" so is a good course of action. And for the record ... post Rocky, the aforementioned GSD. I do train all these thing's as a simple matter of course, these day's.

Most likely it's a lot to absorb but it is the background. And of course as always ask questions. :)

And quick question ... were you walking him when the incident happened?? And what action's did you take??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First off, thanks everyone for welcoming us to the boxerforums. We live right across the street from a small dog park that I take him to daily. That one day I took him at night, there was a couple moving in at night in a U-Haul, while we were walking by the movers dropped a piece of furniture and startled him, he pulled me on his leash back home. The next morning the trash truck came by and he wasn’t having any of it. Now every car noise or door slam makes him want to run home. I always have a collar and leash on him, and I did bring his favorite ball with him one day to distract him, worked the first time. After that he took the ball in his mouth and pulled me home. :(

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I'm not really big on "Distration's," as a course of action myself. I much prefer "Deal With It Dog," it sound's "harsh I suppose??" But the "essence of it is," If dad does not care?? Then I don't either, cuz I trust Dad!

Now that sound's simple?? And certainly after three years?? You'd not think "trust in you." would be an issue??" But whatever ... so "what I was gonna say," and did not ... would be "Walk him somewhere else, other than where you usually go."

That forces him to "to trust you!" Because he is no longer on home ground! I don't know if that is doable for you ?? But it would be a good first step. As a general rule short of a behaviour that will get a dog killed!
I really don't "address a dog's issue's directly?? I much prefer, to address issue's indirectly and the bad behaviour ... "self extishish??" It sound's odd I suppose but it is a "thing." :)

Human Aggression or Fearfulness, if you dig deep, you'll find that the folks' that "can," ... do the same things. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
My dog suddenly became very afraid of loud car and motorbike noises! This all started because while out walking along a busy road one day a very loud motorbike mounted the kerb and frightened her which caused her to slip her collar and to bolt.... As you can imagine this caused all the cars to beep and honk their horns which made her run faster and become more afraid!

Some things to mention. At this point she had NEVER been off lead in public. She was in season which makes her a little jumpy anyway - and she was about 18months old!

(Back to the chaos) - so the only way I could get her to come back was to shout her name really loud and as she looked back I threw myself onto the floor! She turned and cautiously came back to make sure I was ok - just close enough for me to grab her!!!

Since then the fear started. So on every walk down that road she would have her tail tucked underneath, head low, trying to scurry past as quickly as possible. And even at home of a loud engine goes past she pops up on full alert and even sometimes goes on her den.

I decided we needed to work on it. I got a really strong collar and very short lead.
I started walking daily down busy roads. My head always high - chest forward - ignoring when 'scary' bikes and cars went past. Not reacting to anything she attempted to do. Just walked. No harsh corrections. Just kept going.

It took a while but eventually the Tucked tail just became a low tail. I also started giving her commands during the walk... HUP she jumps onto walls. WAIT she will stop walking and look at me, and of course SIT which I now ask her to do if something really scary is coming down the road which I think might knock her confidence.

It has taken a long time and I'm still working on it - but it's working.

Like others have said your dog can sense your reactions so you need to work on you to make sure your expectation and nervousness isn't triggering your dog too. Without realising you may now here the truck an automatically react and pull your dog closer which then starts him/her off!

From my own experience my advice is focus on you. Relax. Don't comfort your dog while they are scared or that reinforces the behaviour.

If you are using treats to help - make sure you give a command first and when they deliver give the treat - or they think the treat is a reward for being scared.

Doing nothing worked for me. If I appear calm and in control. My dog thinks oh..... OK. It's a slow one - but I don't think there is a one size fits all quick fix.

I hope this helps a little. I've only ever had one dog so I'm no expert. But I read and watch a lot to learn so I can make the best decisions for my dog.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for the feedback. I will start implementing all these suggestions.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I did bring his favorite ball with him one day to distract him, worked the first time. After that he took the ball in his mouth and pulled me home. :(
LOL ... that is classic! But you may also, have stumbled onto something ?? Usually a dog under stress, won't take treats. But if he did still take his ball?? You can work with that. But to "start," the "rehab process," I would take him for a walk somewhere other than your regular routine. If he know's where he is, then he knows where home and safety are.

You "have to," get him out of his comfort zone and then he has "no choice," but to trust you! And beyond that on the walk, Theboxerprincess, covered it pretty well. If you are not concerned ... then he is not either, to sum it up.

Training/using Place and Sit on the Dog are both refinement and proofing of the work that is being done. And can show the progress that is being made. But it all starts with "Walking Your Dog." :)

The detail's as to why "walk your dog," are here.:

The rehab process, starts there. You "can't fix this with "tools." You have to build a "better bond of trust," with your dog. The other thing's are just icing on the cake as it were. Really it's just that simple, the other stuff (Place and Sit on the Dog) is just icing on the cake! :)

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
(Back to the chaos) - so the only way I could get her to come back was to shout her name really loud and as she looked back I threw myself onto the floor! She turned and cautiously came back to make sure I was ok - just close enough for me to grab her!!!
I know I said it before buttt ... that was a pretty "Head's Up," and creative solution to that issue!! And while you don't need it now. For "newbie's," and I am a late convert ... but I would highly recommend a "Martingale Collar," for "newbie's."

It's not really a "Training Collar," despite popular perception?? But it is designed to keep "Slippery Dog's," from ditching there collar's at will!

If you already have a well trained dog ie (Walks well on leash) you really won't even notice it, if you chose to use one?? But if your starting out and you don't have a clue ...it can save your dog's life! It work's like a Choke Collar with a limit. It won't constrict enough to stop breathing but it will constrict enough to stop them from chucking there collar!

And the Motor Bikes ... LOL. Well dog's are, can be different?? And when dealing with a "New Rescue,or Dog" it's best to be conservative??

When I first got Bella, my Pit Boxer rescue ... I had her on a twenty feet lead. I just shorten it up as required to six feet. No big deal?? Now the good news that time ... is I also took her and my my Walking Stick on that first walk. Cuz I and Rocky had a long history with Loose Dog's Gone Wild, so Walking Stick it is.!

Well the longish leash was kinda tangled as we walked ... so I am undoing it. And at the sametime a very loud Harley came round the corner with the stereo blaring at low speed?? Now I thought nothing of it ... but my "new' dog?? Well all that noise motion and shape meant that thing, was something that needed to be killed ... right freaking now ... WTH???

I was stunned and she was bolting into the street! I forgot about the leash and used my Walking Stick, to block her! That worked and now I knew. I'm used to dog's that "Pay No Attention," to loud noisy crap. I'd never had a dog that went after it??? That was pretty eye opening, but it worked out OK and now I know. And for the record ... she no longer does that crap today! :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I know I said it before buttt ... that was a pretty "Head's Up," and creative solution to that issue!! And while you don't need it now. For "newbie's," and I am a late convert ... but I would highly recommend a "Martingale Collar," for "newbie's."

It's not really a "Training Collar," despite popular perception?? But it is designed to keep "Slippery Dog's," from ditching there collar's at will!

If you already have a well trained dog ie (Walks well on leash) you really won't even notice it, if you chose to use one?? But if your starting out and you don't have a clue ...it can save your dog's life! It work's like a Choke Collar with a limit. It won't constrict enough to stop breathing but it will constrict enough to stop them from chucking there collar!

And the Motor Bikes ... LOL. Well dog's are, can be different?? And when dealing with a "New Rescue,or Dog" it's best to be conservative??

When I first got Bella, my Pit Boxer rescue ... I had her on a twenty feet lead. I just shorten it up as required to six feet. No big deal?? Now the good news that time ... is I also took her and my my Walking Stick on that first walk. Cuz I and Rocky had a long history with Loose Dog's Gone Wild, so Walking Stick it is.!

Well the longish leash was kinda tangled as we walked ... so I am undoing it. And at the sametime a very loud Harley came round the corner with the stereo blaring at low speed?? Now I thought nothing of it ... but my "new' dog?? Well all that noise motion and shape meant that thing, was something that needed to be killed ... right freaking now ... WTH???

I was stunned and she was bolting into the street! I forgot about the leash and used my Walking Stick, to block her! That worked and now I knew. I'm used to dog's that "Pay No Attention," to loud noisy crap. I'd never had a dog that went after it??? That was pretty eye opening, but it worked out OK and now I know. And for the record ... she no longer does that crap today! :)
Run towards the noise...... LOVE IT! (haha) Bella sounds like a great dog!

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Well Great is a bit of an overstatement?? She has some pretty big paw's to fill and she has tiny feet. :)

She tried it one other time month's later on a walk. This time a quad runner instead of a full dress Harley with Radio Blaring. Same deal it came around the corner and she goes to bolt!? But this time on a six feet I stopped her without "extra," effort or equipment.

Random appearance of noisy machines, is kinda hard to proof?? But she is making progress on another out I got in a "Crap Happen's," situation. I usually get her out of the car walk to where we are going "our distraction," free area so I can let her run.

She was doing great ... when I heard a Quad Runner coming!! Oh Crap!! I was too far away to secure her and the quad was gonna pass between her and me. She was well clear of it ... as long as she stayed where she was??? I had to wait and hope for the best as she stared at me waiting for a call to Come. And ... she did great! She never moved or flitched, the Quad went by and I called her and she came running. I still don't trust her though, it will be a long time if ever she get's to walk off leash in our neighborhood.

But hey your save was outstanding! As chasing her down ... was clearly not gonna work! That was "true thinking, outside the Box as it were." Good save and I can't imagine how frighting that was!

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I have counter conditioned my poodle to noises and other fearful things. It seems to work. Kinda contrary to what I had previously been taught.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts

I began say when he saw another dog and I felt him getting tense, I would click (using clicker,, thought I never would), it got his attention and I would treat him with goodies. I kept doing it all the while the stimuli was there. Then I usually have him sit. Now we do it on walks, if I feel him getting excited, I click he looks at me, sits and gets a treat. We now can walk past people and dogs without him getting over stimulated. He is starting to just look at me for a treat. Sometimes he gets them once in awhile not. But we re still working on it. At home recently he started barking t the door when he saw people walk by, (lots of people walking now a days) usually I'm on the computer, click he runs over to me and sits waiting for his treat. So I am exposing him and associating the exposures with good things. Seems to be working. I use to be a do as I say trainer with my dogs, prong collar or a correction. This particular dog doesn't do well with harsh corrections, in fact I think it caused many of his fears. When he was young and pulled toward people I tensed, corrected him by pulling him back so I basically taught him those weren't good people now he is associated people, dogs with good things. We are not totally there with other dogs but we are improving. I recently bought two books to read which I haven't completed, so I should before I recommend them. But you can also go to this site, they have lots of info Companion Animal Psychology

·
Registered
5,210 Posts

I began say when he saw another dog and I felt him getting tense, I would click (using clicker,, thought I never would), it got his attention and I would treat him with goodies. I kept doing it all the while the stimuli was there. Then I usually have him sit. Now we do it on walks, if I feel him getting excited, I click he looks at me, sits and gets a treat. We now can walk past people and dogs without him getting over stimulated. He is starting to just look at me for a treat. Sometimes he gets them once in awhile not. But we re still working on it. At home recently he started barking t the door when he saw people walk by, (lots of people walking now a days) usually I'm on the computer, click he runs over to me and sits waiting for his treat. So I am exposing him and associating the exposures with good things. Seems to be working. I use to be a do as I say trainer with my dogs, prong collar or a correction. This particular dog doesn't do well with harsh corrections, in fact I think it caused many of his fears. When he was young and pulled toward people I tensed, corrected him by pulling him back so I basically taught him those weren't good people now he is associated people, dogs with good things. We are not totally there with other dogs but we are improving. I recently bought two books to read which I haven't completed, so I should before I recommend them. But you can also go to this site, they have lots of info Companion Animal Psychology
Dr. Patricia McConnell, I see is there! I incorporated her work in my Rocky rehab! :)
It was "Five thing's to do for a fearful dog." Now Rocky was not "Fearful??" He was aggressive with, uh everyone aside from me and Marilyn and Struddell! But over all the same thing in that article, made sense to me?? Maintain distance from the threat, I got your back dog. Long story short ... worked out fine.

In essence I used ... "no treat's or distraction," I worked with ... distance and really "deal with it dog." In my case ... I could not chance "Distraction or Treat's," to solve his issue as people re uh everywhere?? So he had to learn to "deal with it." I got your back dog ... you can trust me! That worked out fine for us! So it's how I will still roll today. :)

But dailing back from a 10 on the Human Aggression scale, I can see how distraction could work? But hey, I was working with an "Extreme" risk to life or limit! WIth 113 lbs of H/A WL GSD if someone got to close?? I could not depend on distraction?? Cuz if it did not work?? He could and would have taken JQP down! I could not take that chance??

"My way?? Worked out fine and other than me having to be a uh hard core A-Hole at times to JQP, sigh ..."Uh NO, I rather you don't pet my dog ... he's in training." which was true, as he was being trained ... not to bite the crap out people. :)

Worked out fine. But I suppose not every dog is that extreme?? But yeah if your not dealing with a risk to life or limb dog, then I can see how "Distraction and a Clicker," could be useful. :)

Bella's uh ...lack of focus, still baffles me?? Oddly enough, if a dog has no serious behavioural issues?? I'm a bit lost?? So I don't know ...maybe I can use her as my first Clicker Trained dog??

I have made some progress with her as she, is allowed off leash, all the time now and does recall ... for the most part. But she is kinda slow and lazy on the recall and we always go to "distraction free places!" She is still a long freaking way from chasing bunnies in the Open Desert! So I still got work to do. :(

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
In the end Chip whether you use click, treat or whatever and distance is a part of it, your getting your dogs focus toward you and you are the best part of whatever is going on around him. Many dogs like extra special treats to stay focused in the beginning, or it could be a favorite toy or tug.
Now I must say this is all new for me, I was a ok dog your just going to do what I say but this seems to have the dog say ok human I am happy to be at your side. I do still use the pinch collar but frankly I don't need it for the dog anymore...I only use it now because if for any reason we have a sudden scare and he does bolt I won't be on the ground. Being I'm in my late 60's and have bad arthritis I'm not taking any chances.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

I really think it boils down to trial and error and knowing your dog. There are things I trained my guy with using his meals for training and things that required a harder approach, like recall and off leash. I don't think there is ever a one size fits all. One thing I learned with this guy (my other dogs were so ball driven, training was a breeze) and talking to different trainers is the vast amounts of ways to train and that you have to find what works for your dog. And that training one behavior might change completely to train another type of behavior with the same dog.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts