Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
True Matt. Using meals is a key too in positive training. I'm just learning and have a way to go.
Yeah bte2 hooked me up with that trick. Never even thought of it, but it was how I trained the focused heel

A hungry dog is a focused dog. lol

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
The Work For Food, thing?? Did not work for me?? But I am pretty sure I screwed it up?? Bella (Pit/Boxer) eat's canned and kibble and rice and sardines and I was not willing to change her diet to kibble only so yeah ...

I came up with, something else ... I used the Dog Park off hour's late at night and so no other dog's. It's partitioned off with fences. So if she paid no attention to where I was ... I would close the gate to lock her in and just wait!

And that has worked out uh kinda?? I can/do take her off leash in the desert. But only in select area's and pretty much close to "Distraction Free," as I can find (not to hard around here.)

Sigh ... it's "Good Enough," I suppose?? I can recall her but she's kinda slow and lazy to respond?? As I was want to say about "EZ Walk Harness," and crap like that ... "I'd never trust a dog trained like that to do anything with reliability!"

My WL GSD ... PIA that he was for a time ... made me thing that I was better than I was at "Dog Training??" Bella (uh tricked/forced on me by my better half) said welcome to the real World Ahole!

But hey even still as a normal dog ... she is easy live at home! I just got used to expecting more than just good enough. So yeah ...

SIgh I am long way off from "First having a well dog before adding a second dog." ANd as long as I am still being well... lazy, my next White Boxer ... has to wait. But in as much as I am still kinda bitter about it needing to be a "Boy??' I suppose it's just as well ...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Well Chip, I think if you tried to carry around sardines you wouldn't have many friends except all the stray cats in your neighborhood.;)

I also feed a mixture of raw and kibble. Basically all you need is the kibble. Just don't feed them whatever meal when you want to train. I always did dinner it worked for my schedule. So basically what I did, was took 1/2 the kibble, went out and trained for a few hours, when we got back, as long as it was a good training session, he got the other 1/2 kibble mixed with whatever else I would give him that night. Truthfully it took maybe less than a week to get what I was trying to train him down. Took another couple weeks to proof it and I always carried a tiny bit of kibble, but he never got fed those few weeks until after training. So I wasn't using his dinner to train anymore, it was the expectation of getting fed after training. So in reality, it was maybe a few days worth of dinner for training. Don't know if it will work for Bella, but it definitely worked for my guy.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Well Chip, I think if you tried to carry around sardines you wouldn't have many friends except all the stray cats in your neighborhood.;)

I also feed a mixture of raw and kibble. Basically all you need is the kibble. Just don't feed them whatever meal when you want to train. I always did dinner it worked for my schedule. So basically what I did, was took 1/2 the kibble, went out and trained for a few hours, when we got back, as long as it was a good training session, he got the other 1/2 kibble mixed with whatever else I would give him that night. Truthfully it took maybe less than a week to get what I was trying to train him down. Took another couple weeks to proof it and I always carried a tiny bit of kibble, but he never got fed those few weeks until after training. So I wasn't using his dinner to train anymore, it was the expectation of getting fed after training. So in reality, it was maybe a few days worth of dinner for training. Don't know if it will work for Bella, but it definitely worked for my guy.
LOL, well thank's for the clarification. You'd thing that kibble only, would not need to be said?? But there is always "That Guy!" :)

Still your "clarification," should prove useful to other's. I'm still gliding along in "Good Enough Mode." Most likely I'm still carrying baggage cuz she is not a he??? Sigh, I wanted another "White Boxer Female!" I was pretty clear on that ... I thought?? But "crap happen's," as I often say.

I just find it difficult to wrap my mind around a Boxer Boy after my Struddell. Uh no offense meant to the Boy dog's, intended of course. :)

Aww well, I suppose, I gotta just "Grow up," But that hasn't happened so far???

21 - 25 of 25 Posts