Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel bad my puppy is coming saturday and I asked what they are feeding him, and it is Purena which i know is not good, and i wish i could just change it right away, but i am gonna do the gradual thing... what are some good foods to feed a puppy that are also easy to get at Petsmart or Petco

THANKS!!!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
My first choice would be Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul.  I has good ratings, and is cheaper than Canidae.  Alot of people feed Canidae, Charlie had dry skin, terrible eye boogers, and loose stool from it.  But he has a very sensitive stomach, we've yet to find a food that will consistently give him firm stool.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Petco and Petsmart carry, Nutro Ultra, Natural Balance, Royal Canin, and Blue Buffalo.

However, as they are commercial stores and easy to access, they also jack up the prices on their "better" quality foods.

For example a 5lb bag of Blue Buff at petsmart is 12.99, where as at Petco, same food is 17.99.    8O
You can find a store that sells Canidae (you can go to their site www.canidae.com and find store locator) your typical price for a 5lb pag can be anywhere from 6.99 to 7.99 (around here).

I buy Timberwolf Ocean BLue, which is grainless and should be more exp.   A 4lb bag is 9.99 which bring my price per pound down to 2.50 / per pound, where as Blue at Petco / Petsmart can be 2.60 -3.80 per pound.  

So I take into consideration what ingredients are better (stay away from corn, by-products etc) and then look at price.  You will find that you can get a great quality food for less than what they are selling in some of the commercial stores!!!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
[quote="JeepKuntry\";p=\"42989":8c64tlsq]My first choice would be Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Angel has done really well on the Chicken Soup, she's been on for about 3 months or so and nice solid stools  :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Luther was on a raw food diet for the first few months of this life and then we changed him over to Innova.  This food is fantastic and he always has solid poops.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts