Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I picked up my first Boxer "Cain" tuesday evening. He's 8.5 weeks, and I took him directly to our camper at the lake for an overnight stay. He was extremely calm during the short drive, and after a cautious examination of his new surroundings, he quickly became content enough to follow me onto the deck and into the camper. We later walked around the campground, unleashed, and he stayed by my side, sitting and looking up at me each time we stopped. After dark, I built a campfire in our fire ring, and at first he wanted to stay in my lap, then I removed the sweatshirt I was wearing and placed it on the ground beside me. He laid there...calm as could be...for a few hours.
I had picked up a crate, but it was too small for him, so he slept in bed with me in the camper, on that same sweatshirt. He slept thru the night (till 5am) and quickly did his business the next morning when I took him outside and to the area that he should use.
Wednesday...he goes to work with me...sleeping most of the day while lying on that same (now quite dirty) sweatshirt. I was able to take him outside every few hours, and so far there have been no accidents!
Wednesday evening he goes home with me to meet the rest of the family, and our 9 year old Shi-Tzu (she's not too happy...but she'll get used to the new member). Last night Cain goes into the correct size crate for the night. He does whine a bit...but just a bit...then sleeps till 5am again. Still...no accidents! I take Cain (crate and all) outside, and again he takes care of things quickly.
Back at work today...and he's still perfectly content to stay on that sweatshirt...right beside my desk.

So.....is this typical? Are all Boxers this good as pups?...or did I get lucky (so far)?

Larry

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Oooooo...you're in for a surprise!  LOL ...   :lol: I'm kidding ... maybe he will stay calm, but mine was like that for about a week and then all hell broke lose! He was the sweetest, quietest, cutest, most innocent looking creature on the planet...and we wonder every day where he's gone!  HAHAHA...  You may notice a difference the more used to his surroundings he gets, but this my first boxer, so maybe someone more experienced can help...

·
Registered
578 Posts
Congrats! Well in our experience with Fredo, we were very lucky too. He was an amazingly easy puppy and was crate trained almost immediately.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Congrats!!  I am sure Cain will settle in well, just want you to know it's almost like geting married you know that honeymoon period.......but I may be wrong as well.  My two waited a little while before they became raging teenagers.  

With all that aside welcome to the forum from California!!

G

·
0 Posts
I remember days when I was telling everyone Bruce is the perfect puppy, then right afterwards he would pee on the floor.  Hope it lasts!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
We were very lucky with Tyson as well!  Very easy going and quiet.  Now...let's just day he is the "typical" boxer!  He's a very good dog, just has a lot of energy and needs lots of attention.  But he is really good.  Crate & potty trained. And it was pretty easy to do.

Good luck! Don't let those little puppy eyes fool you!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I would say you are lucky....I can't remember how Duke was, but I know he was 100% better then Bentley.  We didn't even get a honeymoon period......it was straight into I'm a monster :)  he has calmed down a bit since then but I would say you are very lucky :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow are you going to get blind sided :)

Sounds like a great little pup you got there!  I wish my experience with my girl was that simple!  He's only 2 months, but wait until he starts getting just a little older :)  FUN FUN FUN.  Not trying to scare you, but boxers are full of energy, love to play, and love to cause to mischeif.  They are goofy and silly but VERY intellegent.  My girl at 3 months learned sit, stay, and paw.  

Good luck with your pup!

Rob

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone!
Cain is not as "sleepy" as he was yesterday, but still very calm and well mannered. I have a metal fab shop, and he gets to interact with alot of different folks during the day, as well as the guys in the shop.
It's beautiful outside today, so the main office door is open. Cain is alternating between the welcome mat and the sweatshirt...he seems to prefer the warm sunlight at the welcome mat, but slowly walks back to me when customers approach.

Here's my boy! (if this pic thing works)

G

·
0 Posts
He is adorable!  Bear was very calm and sweet when we first got him.  Lets just say he finally stepped out of his confort zone.  haha.  But honestly he is WAY better behaved than Binga was.  I think him being a male and her female has something to do with it.

Hopefully Cain will remain a calm, well mannered puppy   :)

G

·
0 Posts
My puppy was rather sleepy and calm at first, she didn't take to the crate well however.  Our male we got when he was older.  He can be a monster let me tell you!  If he wants to play, you better play with him or he's gonna bark and bark and bark in your face, get down and do the bow thing and jump around until you give in!  Boxers are playful, mischievous dogs and I'm sure you'll get your share of "trouble" from your perfect gentleman!

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
congrats to you!! he so darn cute!!sounds like everything is going well.. if stays calm and well mannered..great!! if not.. join the club!! :lol: keep us updated on how he does!!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Charlie was that way.  He was content to lay and nap, or he'd chew on a bone.  Never really got into anything.  Sadie on the other hand, she was a rebel.  At 8 weeks she'd jump off the couch and our bed.  She's very vocal (which she's caused Charlie to become more vocal) and she got in quite a bit of trouble.  Matter of fact, she still does!  I hope Cain stays calm, but I doubt it.  Once he's aclimated to his surroudings, he'll start getting in trouble.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Cain is adorable!!! You may luck out and he stays on the calm side, but be prepared..Chances are that Evil Boxer is lurking and will show himself soon :lol: I say this in a joking manner believe me, I wouldn't trade one minute of my life with all my babies

·
Registered
522 Posts
Oh,he is precious....When I got my first boxer,I said:..What a well adjusted puppy...That was first and last time I ever sat it!!!! :roll:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
boy's got PAWS! lol he's adorable and I think you are lucky :) but like others have said no way of telling whether it'll last, or he is just getting used to everything.  We got ours at 13 weeks, and she was good the first few days, even though we knew she'd be trouble since she was the wildest puppy out of about 7 from 3 different litters ha ha.  Either way good luck and more pictures would be great!

·
Registered
314 Posts
He is so so cute!  I have to say that duke was that way too But it kind of reflected our lifestyle, slow and laid back.  Duke is the only dog also.  And he goes everywhere with me too.  Duke stayed that way and is very well behaved......untill we see another dog then its all out crazy dog playing time.  And he doesnt even hear me talking! :lol:   But he is very laid back and lazy all day when at home!   Wish you luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
tank was calm, sweet when we first got him. now he is a hpyer boxer at 5 months old and i think all hell went loose.. he wants to play all the time...you are lucky for right now...but congrad on cain he is sooooo  cute

1 - 20 of 25 Posts