Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:evil:

I was out to dinner with my girlfriend and baby, and I get a phonecal from my mom. "Where are you? Get home immediatly its very important" well, my mom had major knee surgery this morning, got home this afternoon, so naturally I thpought something had happened to her.

I get home, and find a huge fish hook, with 3 hooks stuck in tysons bottom lip. 2 of the 3 hooks were through his lip.

Me and my sister tried holding him, and itried to cut the hooks so I can slide them out. He was way too squirmish so I gave up, I didn't want to tear his lip. I call the vet hospital,and get a spot saved for him. I fly to pick my gf and baby up from pizza place, and rush to the vet. All the vets were cringing(sp?) when they seen him. I kind of wish I had a picture, maybe ill get the hook back from the vet  and post a pic of it. It was by no means a small hook.

They tried to take it out, and said they can't. He needs anastesia, so I had to sign all this paper work, the come pout with an estimate bill, $248-$310. I had to pay half in order to leave, and I have to pick him up at 8pm tonight and pay the other half.

So much for my credit card being paid off :(

I already got a call saying everything went perfect. The 1 hook came out fairly easy, the other one was a bit difficult.

And a short story of why/where the hook came from.... we had a shed in our backyard, an old piece of shit shed. It was in there. Well, my old boss, who happens to be the contractor doing the addition on our house knocked it down last week and it was left in the yard, not thrown out of the fence like all the other garbage.

I'm wondering if there's any legal way I can hold him responsible. He's been dicking me around for a week now, holding last weeks pay. I'm so aggervated with the whole situation and could use some advise.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I don't know what responsibility your contractor has for the accident, it would depend on your individual state statutes, but I kinda doubt that there is anything you can do legally.  Morally, he should be willing to give you a break on your building costs I would think.  I'm so sorry poor Tyson has had to go through all this.  Keep us posted as to how he does tonight.  Hope he feels better really soon.  That would really hurt!!!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
OUCH! Geez, the things our babies can find to get in trouble with!! Thank Goodness he didn't swallow it!!! Don't have any advice but please post and let us know how he is doing! Sending healing thoughts your way for Tyson and for your Moms' knee!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This forum is very comforting. I feel relieve when io post and read threads on here. Its an awesome place. You'll be seeing a lot more of me.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I soooo agree about the site being a comfort.....Sometimes you just need to talk with other boxer owners and this site has the best!!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Oh, man...poor Tyson!  I'm glad they got it out...the only thing I can think of is that when roofers come to work on your home...they use a magnet to pick up any dropped nails in the yard...I'd be willing to bet if they missed a nail and someone got hurt, they could find themselves in trouble...I don't know...seems like it might make things messy for you! Ticking off the boss, etc...but, I'd sure go out there with a magnet now and make sure that was all he left!

Hope it all works out! Poor buddy... :(

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Poor Tyson, it must have been so frightening for all of you.  Sure hope he recovers quickly.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
jeez thats terrible im so sorry ..weve been through alot of things like that with 2 crazy sons and 2 big dogs...im so glad hes ok

as for the boss..you own the home correct? check with homeowners insurance agent ..just ask..if they dont cover they may know something about it..if you really want to push it without telling the guy...call and get a free consult with a lawyer...jsut ask...

i totally agree with you..id be heatedddddddd !!!! does he know what happend to Tyson? if not maybe leave him a mssg just see what he says if anything..jsut worth a shot..hmm or tell the wife lol..she might be a little more caring..

hope Tyson heals quickly and please keep us posted...we are here for ya:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just picked him up. Bill was $365.86.
They have him opn carprofen 75mg (pain med)
And amoxi/clav 250mg(antibiotic)

The price included the sedation, and the meds.

When he came out of the backroom he cam hauling ass and jumped all over me. So he's already back to his normal self right now him and my step daughter are sleeping in the backseat together while we wait for mommy to get done teaching dance class.

I feel a lot better seeing he's himself, a lot of nerves calmed down I can finally eat my dinner that I started to eat before all of this.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
that made me laugh out loud...thats GREAT !!! im happy for you all..i can see him now bounding across hoping to knock you over hahaha

:) hope you have a relaxing night ..even though your wallet isnt happy haha

hugz to ya Tyson... :wink: luvin yor name it suites you

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh my, poor Tyson, but it sounds like he rebounded quite well, better than you anyways...I tell ya, these babies keep us on our toes....Gald you finally got your dinner :)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Glad things turned out so well! Even though they scare us to death they are amazingly resilient. One thought  on the insurance post - maybe your boss has some type of contractors insurance to cover accidental damage??? I think it's probably limited to property damage but can't hurt to ask?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I would def look into possibly doing a free consult. If the man would have done his job then poor tyson wouldnt have had this issue. I am so very happy to hear he is already acting normal. boxer hugs to y'all :)

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Ouch. This is terrible news.  :(  Poor Tyson. OH all the stuff they get into is just mind boggling! I'm so glad Tyson is back to his normal self already! Sounds like in his eyes it was a minor setback, although not for your wallet unfortunately. Give him a big kiss from me!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Poor guy....I bet he feels better now...I wonder if this was the biggest thing you ever caught with that fishing tackle??? HAHA

It actually is a pretty common thing.  I have a drawer at work that is filled with fishing hooks.  Come to think of it I may take a pic of it to show all the different one's that have come out of dogs and cats.  It is amazing to see.  What is usually more amazing is that they act like it does not hurt them.  I dont think I have ever been able to get one out without sedating them. So dont feel alone in that one.....

On the other. I would think that the "old boss" shouls feel some responsibility as Kate said.  I would go out and take some pics of the "stuff" that was left in the yard to have for your file.  Then, the best place to start I would think would be just to make a copy of your vet bill, show him the vet bill and the photo and ask if he can cover/help cover the cost.  If he says no then ask who his insurance company is. Go from there.....If you try to claim it on your insurance, they may go after his insurance anyway....If he is working on your house, then you should hope he has insurance, I mean what if he damages something on your home?....Of course you have to way all that along side what kind of trouble it could cause.

If it were me I would get my ducks all lined up then go talk to him....He may suprise you and just agree to pay something...

Hope Tyson feels better today!

·
Registered
352 Posts
poor tyson, i'm glad he's feeling better.  these guys will surprise you every time; they rebound so much better than people!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
i am with Sharon..and any person doing work thats legit has to pull a building permit at city hall even for something small like a deck.if they dont and get caught its major fines on them so most pull the permits..which in turn documents the dates and nature of the work...there's your proof he was there etc etc

hope things work out:)

·
Registered
578 Posts
This same thing happened to my boston when he was 6 months old. My boyfriend had to pull it out and he needed emergency surgery. Except he got caught on the metal hook attached to his excersize pen. He was fine though. Mommy's wallet took a good ass kicking though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts