Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of our pups scratched Tyson in the eye a few days ago and he rubbing his eye for a while.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Re: Tyson has a laceration on his cornea.

Oh my goodness!  That's horrible.
He's not in pain is he?  I hope you don't have to have surgery!
We'll be praying for  you guys.
Get well soon, Tyson! :)

·
Registered
441 Posts

How long will you have to wait to find out if the creams are working or not??? Get well soon, Tyson! Hopefully it is a quick recovery :D

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

I sure hope it heals and you don't have to have surgery.  Feel better soon Tyson, Kiah and I send healing vibes plus hugs and kisses.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts

Get well soon Tyson! I hope that he doesn't need surgery and the creams heal him all up.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Awwww, poor Tyson...Hoping the creams do the trick and surgery is not needed..It's always something isn't it?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

[quote="Zhanna\";p=\"58949":3irc8dh8]Oh my goodness!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

maddy_mae\";p=\"58954 said:
How long will you have to wait to find out if the creams are working or not??? Get well soon, Tyson! Hopefully it is a quick recovery :D
We have 2 creams to apply for 10 days.  We have a recheck with the vet in 7 days to see how it is progressing.  The vet put the lampshade on him because everytime he rubs his eye he is actually tearing it more.

Scott

·
Registered
3,939 Posts

There is also a procedure that is called an eyelid flap surgery that will encourage the eye to heal faster.  Basically the eye lids are stitched together to keep out light, air and other elements and also make the eye rest.  I dont know if your doctor does this surgery but it is an idea.  Also, Erythromicin oint is probably one of the best for this type of injury, that I have found.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

I hope the cream does the trick for Tyson and he won't need surgery. {{Healing vibes}} being sent Tyson's way!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

Poor Tyson, I hope he recovers from this injury quickly and that he's not suffering.  We're all sending him healing vibes and boxer hugs and kisses.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts

Poor baby!! Did they mention his vision? Will he be able to see out of that eye still?

We had that happen to a ferret. The cat got her eye... they gave us meds like that too. Said she could still she because of where the tear was but now that it's healed her eye has a bulge on it... just a little one but she can still see.

Hubby had PRK surgery done. That's where they "brush off" your cornea and let it heal/grow back and you'll have 20/20 vision again (like lasik but better). Anyway, he was finally almost healed with Sarah at 5 months was moving her arms around like crazy in bed with us and her nail scratched his cornea. It was painful of course... and basically when it healed back over it left a slight haze... so it's harder for him to see out of that eye... definitely not 20/20. During the briefing of the surgery they say to keep your eyes closed AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE FOR THE FIRST 48 HRS. Of course you can't just tell a dog to keep his eyes closed.

Good luck with the healing... hopefully it heals QUICKLY and EVERYTHING can be back to normal again! Odin and I are sending HEALING VIBES Tyson's way!! Please keep us posted!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

[quote="sharonL\";p=\"58995":1230984a]There is also a procedure that is called an eyelid flap surgery that will encourage the eye to heal faster.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Mastray\";p=\"59028 said:
Poor baby!! Did they mention his vision? Will he be able to see out of that eye still?

We had that happen to a ferret. The cat got her eye... they gave us meds like that too. Said she could still she because of where the tear was but now that it's healed her eye has a bulge on it... just a little one but she can still see.

Hubby had PRK surgery done. That's where they "brush off" your cornea and let it heal/grow back and you'll have 20/20 vision again (like lasik but better). Anyway, he was finally almost healed with Sarah at 5 months was moving her arms around like crazy in bed with us and her nail scratched his cornea. It was painful of course... and basically when it healed back over it left a slight haze... so it's harder for him to see out of that eye... definitely not 20/20. During the briefing of the surgery they say to keep your eyes closed AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE FOR THE FIRST 48 HRS. Of course you can't just tell a dog to keep his eyes closed.

Good luck with the healing... hopefully it heals QUICKLY and EVERYTHING can be back to normal again! Odin and I are sending HEALING VIBES Tyson's way!! Please keep us posted!!
I asked the vet about that and he said that his vision should be fine afterwards and we should not worry about it.  The vet said during the surgery they would trim the rough edge of the tear on the cornea and then scratch it in a crosshatch pattern which will promote the healing and then sew the eyelid shut to let it heal.  Thanks for the thoughts and  healing vibes--It really means a lot to us.

Scott

·
Registered
10 Posts

Poor baby  :cry:      

I did want to say that my girl Rippley would rub her eye to the point of getting ulcers. ( I later found out it was her food that wa making her eyes run)     So we tryed the eye creams which did not work very well ....  then my vet said we had one other idea to try before we tryed the eye scraping .  The vet drew some blood of Rip's then spun it for 15 mins   , the vet then removed the white blood cells and put that in an eye dropper .  I had to put 1 drop in her eye at least 3 times a day .  Her eye was healed within 3 days .   You may want to ask the vet about this before they do something really drastic .

Heather
www.BranwenBoxers.com

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Heather,  Thank you for that bit of information.  I will talk to the vet about it if we have to go the surgery route.

Scott

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Tyson went to the vet today for his check up and the vet said his eye is 100% healed up and only has a very very tiny bit of scar tissue which will probably go away in a few weeks.  I am so relieved.  Thank you to all the members who offered words of hope and reassurance, it was greatly appreciated.

Scott

1 - 20 of 26 Posts