Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure what this could be...allergic reaction?  From what?  Nothing in his diet has changed.  I made an appointment for the vet at 3, but if there is something I can do and don't need the vet for, that would be great.

Any ideas??? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are not like hard hard, but you can feel them.  Kinda feel like if you were petting your dog the "wrong" way...like the opposite the fur is supposed to go.  Does that make sense?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Looks like hives to me.  Some sort of allergic reaction.  I'd watch him for other symptoms, call the vet and maybe get out the benadryl.  Could be a food allergy, spider bite, etc

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Call your vet and see if you can give him a benedryl.  I'm guessing an allergic reaction?  I know with our two, we've never experienced this, but Tyson could have gotten into something when you weren't looking.  I always tell people you might think you house in good and clean, but let a dog roam around and he'll find something a dryer sheet, etc.

·
Registered
544 Posts
In my opinion from the pictures it looks similar to the allergic reaction Templeton had when he was stung by a bee.  I know benadryl is safe to give and should help if it is some sort of allergic reaction.  Of course I would contact the vet to be sure.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone!  I just really hope it's nothing serious.

I will keep his appointment I set at 3 today.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
definatly looks like allergic reaction/hives to me too.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Michelle\";p=\"82080 said:
Oh, and he was at doggie day care yesterday...maybe he contacted something there!?!?!?
Very possible.  Oggie got really sick after his first few visits to daycare.  Puppies immune systems can be pretty fragile

·
Registered
462 Posts
Zoie had something like that and it was from a spider bite...Let us know what they say...

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Michelle\";p=\"82086 said:
Weird question....can this be passed to humans?
Not unless you're allergic to whatever he's allergic to (the only possibility I can even think of is if he got into some poison ivy, its still on his skin, and you're allergic to it)

Very few ailments are transferrable between dogs and humans.  And this is an allergic reaction, so its sorta like if your friend is allergic to seafood you both ate, and she gets a rash and you don't.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have chronic hives..if i don't take medication daily i'll have them 24 hrs a day, but that's exactly what they look like to me...just give a little benedry...no worries

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks sully and everyone!

Does anyone know the doage for the benedryl?  Tyson is 8 months old and weighs approx. 45lbs.

·
Registered
780 Posts
If you are keeping your vet appointment I wouldn't give the benedryl until after you go.  You want the vet to see what they look like and if it is something else they may need to give a different medicine that might not be compatable with benedryl.

It does look like a reaction to a bite, our dogs do that whenever they are stung by a bee, bit by an ant, etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Rocky had similar bumps like that. We took him to the vet and they did a blood test and found out he's allergic to many weeds. Which completely made sense, since he chewed the sprinkler line in the back yard and a bunch of weeds grew in. We cleaned up all the weeds and he's fine now.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Looks like an allergic reaction to me - Boxers are more sensitive then other breeds.  We woke up one morning last fall and Tucker looked like this from an allergic reaction to some bugs he's gotten into.  

1 - 20 of 31 Posts