Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Tyson went to get his shots today, and a lot of other things I was not expecting. I learned a lot! FLEA COLLARS DO NOT WORK. lol. we just have so much land, and I dont want fleas, but they gave us some powder stuff. I have a question that Chase forgot to ask...If I give him his worm tablet in peanut butter will it hurt him because he is so young? Ive done it with our chiuaua, but this is my first boxer. Good news, the vet was very impressed with him. She said that he has progressed very well for him being so young. she said that he has one of the BEST temperments that she has ever seen, and a really great stance. Im proud! I just thought that I would let everyone know that he is doing GREAT. No problems! Also wanted to tell everyone thank you all for being so kind and knowlegable. You all make being a new mommy so much fun!!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
glad things are well with tyson!  Feeding the pill hidden in peanut butter shouldnt hurt him at all. The LOVE peanut butter :)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Happy to hear Tyson's vet visit went well!  :)
Whenever I have to give meds I hide them in a hunk of velveeta or cream cheese or even liverwurst.  :sick:
Peanut butter never seemed to work for me because I think of the stickiness, they would eat all the PB and spit out the pill. I have great success with the velveeta. I give one plain chunk, then the second chunk with the pill inside, then a third plain chunk.
Peanut butter won't hurt him tho. May just give him more gas!  8O

·
Registered
977 Posts
8O What 8O  Collars don't work!! Now you've got my attention...is this true? Should i go for Frontline despite the fact Voltaire's often in water? In what form? Spray or the other wotsits- i'm having an english blank and can't remember the name for the little tubey things...
I'd be proud of Tyson too he's a beautiful pup :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya. the vet told me that they dont work all they do is put off a funny smell. I got the one he was wearing at their office too! thanks, I think Tyson's preety cute too. Vet gave me some powder, obviouslly not water resistant, but they had a lot of stuff for fleas for different senarios. helpful people vets!!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
[quote="caillou\";p=\"7237":1bmqgdy3]8O What 8O

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Yeah I remember being told 5 or 6 yrs ago that Flea Collars don't work. Which kinda shocked me cuz' that's what we always used for our dogs when I was little. I was told fleas are yr 'round here in FL. FUN!!! Of course that's sarcasm. I'm originally from southwest TX and I am not use to SOOO many bugs!! It's SOOO ANNOYING! The beaches here are BEAUTIFUL though! My neighbor was talking about REVOLUTION... I'm going to look into that too!

I love how every vet I've been to here has signs every where that states flea products do not KEEP fleas OFF... that the fleas will have to be on them for an hr before killed... something to that affect... THAT I did NOT know. So that worries me a little because my husband mentioned how infested his apartment got for keeping a stray kitten (Dragon, who he had for 13 yrs) without having him treated RIGHT AWAY.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I've never seen a flea on either of my dogs, so I think the products work.
Fleas are a year round problem in FL.  :(
Also, prepare yourself....the bugs here are big enough to put a saddle on and ride 'em!   8O

·
Registered
977 Posts
O.K. I'm onto it. He's not had fleas so far despite being in contact with dogs that do. I'd like it to stay that way. We have about 5/6 months of flea season here. I have seen a flea infestation with my own eyes in a shed where feral cats were living - it was horrendous! You could step in there for 10 seconds and have about fifty fleas on each trouser leg- Yuk! I also live in woods surronded by fields so ticks are rife. I even caught one myself last year :eek: !

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
[quote="caillou\";p=\"7237":p7hhd3cn]8O What 8O

·
Registered
977 Posts
Haven't seen any evedence of fleas so far but i've just invested in a sparkling new Dyson that should do the trick- better to be safe, and all that. Good name for a dog actually..."Dyson".

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
caillou\";p=\"7261 said:
Haven't seen any evedence of fleas so far but i've just invested in a sparkling new Dyson that should do the trick- better to be safe, and all that. Good name for a dog actually..."Dyson".
i would imagine its much more difficult to see them on voltaire.. jessie is pretty light so its not difficult at all...

so being safe for you is a good idea

·
Registered
977 Posts
What company do you buy from - if you don't mind me asking? It's just there are so many out there :? ??

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
caillou\";p=\"7261 said:
I have a Kirby, and really wanted a dyson anyways, just because of the bagless thing, and I'm a huge sucker for infomercials. but my FIL is a manager at a vacuum repair/sale shop, and he said he gets dyson's in all the time for pricey fixes.

Just be careful, apparently they tend to break, and cost a ton to fix.

although my kirby with it's "indestructible hose" broke after a month. And when I called the company (since it's covered by warranty) I got hung up on when they asked where I lived.
The man on the phone said Michigan?! and totally hung up on me.

But over 2 years later, my FIL is getting me a new hose for free. lol

·
Registered
977 Posts
I was spending a fortune on dust bags for the previous V.cleaner so i went with the make that had none and also has a washable filter - so i don't have to buy those anymore either. The plastics are of a poor quality- you have to be careful not to bash it about-but it vacuums well and i don't get that 'old doggy smell' blowing out of it and perfuming the room like the other one! Aaahhh, clean air...My Mum in England says she sees Dysons all the time second hand at "car-boot sales" (- they're like your yard sales in the US) so people do seem to get rid of 'em. It's gross but facinating to see the crap you've just picked up off a floor you thought was quite clean 8O I'm amazed i still have any hair on my head when i see what's been picked up 8O !!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts