Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

ugh, does this mean i have to change foods again

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Soccergk1987 
#1 ·
So dungy is on Chicken soup and he was really good and ate all of his food no problem, but he has add.  I cant get him to eat it w/o putting SOMETHING in it. Then he will finish the food w/ the stuff on it and look at me till i put more stuff in it... i cant keep doing that!!!!

Is it that he doesnt like the food... idk what to do but i cant take 20 min to feed him 2 cups twice a day!!!!

G
#2 ·
I would put his morning food down and if he doesn't eat it in a set time frame, pick it up and put it back in the dog food container.  Then that night, put his food down, give him a certain amount of time to eat, then pick it up and put it back.  Eventually he will eat, he won't starve himself, and he has to learn to eat on your terms and your schedule.

#8 ·
Glad I came across this.......

Just within the last week --- Lulu (and two of my schnauzers) have not wanted to eat in the mornings...... UNLESS I put something in their food, or warm it up.   (Yes, I warm up their food in the winter)   Since it's getting warmer now, I haven't been warming.   I put their bowls down and they just look at me like.... MOM..... it's not warm, or where's my greenbeans or where's my egg?????   I have to board them in a few weeks (hubby and I are taking our honeymoon) and THEY aren't going to "doctor" their food.   So, trying to get them used to just plain ol' dog food.    Of course, they are not happy with me!  :(

But, I leave it for about 15 minutes and then take it up.   I feel bad, but.....they usually do a little better at dinner.

#9 ·
Rotaing kibbles IMO is the best way to beat bordom.  If you find a couple they like (and that like them) then mix it up.  That is what I did when I was on kibble.   It teaches them not to get bored because they never know what they are going to get.  And one day if they dont like it then think back to what you mom did when you were little and did not eat green beans?   Most likely go hungry - works for them too!!!

Ask youself, do you control the dog or does the dog control you?   By adding something to their food to make them eat it, they are controling you!   Mix it up - make it fun, and to me thats is a happy medium!

#10 ·
I had this problem not along ago and someone on here suggested to add some water to it so it makes it seem different, and it sorta makes a gravy. Not alot of water just enough for them to notice and Harleigh gobbled it up like it was new food. I eventually stopped doing it but I did it for no more than a week.  Good luck!

#11 ·
Oh.... we add water too, but..... again, the boarding place prolly won't add water, soooooo....... I was just trying it plain and dry.  Ugh!  Guess it will just take a few days.

Can't really mix with Lulu yet.   Still trying to find something that agrees with her tummy/doesn't give her the
Hershey Squirts!!!   So far, the Purina Sensitive Salmon seems to be working.   Gonna stick with just this food, especially since boarding in a few weeks, and I know that causes stress too.    Don't want her to paint the walls in her crate at daycare.   :roll:

G
#12 ·
Binga was doing the same thing.  So I started doing what myboxerbabyz said.  She got her food in the morning and would eat while I was getting ready.  If she left any in the bowl I would pick it up.  In the evenings she would just sit and stare at me with her bowl in front of her.  I would block her off in the kitchen for a while to eat.  After a set amount of time I would pick it up.  I figured out that she eats less in the morning than in the evening, so I didn't giver her as much in the AM as the PM.  She does good now with her eating.  She knows that if she doesn't eat it when its there it will disappear.

TOTALLY different story for Bear.  That boy will eat ANYTHING that is in front of him.  If I let him out in the morning and there is food left in Binga's bowl he will scarf that up too!  So I have to make sure hers is put up before he comes out of his crate.  

Just try the time schedule. He will figure it out!   :)

#13 ·
Yup, Heather had it right, who's controling who here? I do still give extras in their food, but lately I have been slacking off just to see if it made a difference...not at all....Both chowed down like refugees from Somalia  :lol: When Dungy is hungry, he'll eat, so don't worry too much...It's not the food, it's him :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.