Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
I hope she gets well soon. Poor little girl.... I think maybe she is getting too much exercise? I would reduce some of the activity for awhile after she is feeling better. Hugs & Smooches to Aspen XOXOXO

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Haha, when I got a boxer, I never thought there would be such a thing as exercising her too much! Because I own a dog walking company, I feel so guilty if I'm going to the park or for a run or for a hike with client dogs and I don't bring her along. I'm just going to need to keep in the back of my mind that she doesn't need to come all the time, and it would probably be better for her to rest in her kennel for a couple of hours instead of overdoing it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Aspen is at the vet right now getting x-rays done on her leg. She was limping last week, but it seemed to go away so I was hoping she just "tweaked" something. Yesterday she played at the dog park for 45 min in the morning and then we did a 1 hr leashed walk in the late afternoon (a very light day of exercise for her), and when we got home from her afternoon walk she ate her dinner standing on 3 legs. Uh oh. I did some essential oil therapy on her, but she just mostly slept all night. This morning she seemed fine, we went for a (very cold) bike ride and then she went to the park for an hour and didn't seem in pain at all. What the heck is up??? She's a very tough little dog and never shows any signs of being in pain no matter what's going on, so I decided to take her in to get checked out. I'd rather be safe than sorry! I'll let you know what's up once I hear back from the vet.

Oh, and by the way, don't get pet insurance with PetSecure!! I just got a letter in the mail that they did some sort of risk analysis and because Aspen has a certain number of claims, they've reduced her coverage from 80% to 70%. WTF? I pay higher premiums for her because she's a boxer, they do that with breeds that are a greater risk for having health problems, so why do I also deserve to get paid out at less too?? Jerks. Once we figure out what is up with her leg and have Petsecure pay for it, we're switching over to Trupanion. Aparently if your dog is "high risk" enough they can decrease your pay out to 50%!! I know that car insurance companies do stuff like this, but if you get in a bunch of accidents it's because you're a terrible driver! My dog doesn't go to the vet because I've done anything wrong, I just so happened to have adopted a defective dog!!
I'm not sure if your insurance pays all the cost of vet visits or what your "co-pay" is. But i've always taken my Chi to Banfield (in PetSmart) and had him enrolled in their wellness plan and have enrolled Sadie as well now. They don't do exlusions based on breed or size. All vaccines/boosters and 2 yearly check-ups/blood panels are included in the base plan, then it tiers up for an included teeth cleaning, and they have packages to get the dog spayed or neutered. The cost of the vet visits themselves are always waived for anything you go in for and you just pay for Rx's or extra items like xrays and such but at a 15% discount. You might want to look into it if you are paying a lot as it is now anyway.

I hope your baby girl is feeling better!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
After over a month of limiting Aspen's exercise, not allowing her off leash, and giving her anti-inflammatories, she's still limping, but I think we've now figured out why. She went for acupuncture on Friday and it turns out her hips are out of alignment. If you run your hand down her back and feel her hip bones, you can actually feel them sort of lop-sided by a couple of cm. She got acupuncture on Friday and is going again today, and the vet also did some gentle manipulation of her bones, but she might have to go to the city to see the doggy chiropractor.

The vet asked if she took any big falls or got hit by anything. The only thing I can think of is a couple of months ago in agility class we did the "table" for the first time. It's just a flat low table and she has to stop on it and do a "down" for 5 seconds. She was excited and she came flying over the A frame and onto the table and I could tell she was going to just fly right over it. I put my arm out to try to stop her on the table, but she was going way too fast and she tried to jump over my arm but she didn't quite make it. I basically took her legs out from under her and she flew threw the air and landed on her back (I also went flying). It was a hard enough impact that she peed all over herself. She bounced right back up though and seemed fine, just a little shaken up (needless to say she ALWAYS stopped on the table after that!). I felt so awful! I'm pretty sure that's when she would have hurt herself.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Aw.. Poor girl! Do you know of any animal chiropractors in the city? I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try it out. Hope that's what it is and that she can get better! :)
Yup, there are two dog chiro's in the city that I know of. I've never been to them, but I know of someone who takes their dog fairly frequently as he was born with some sort of back issue.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Awweee Aspen! I sure hope it's able to be corrected, Jess. Thanks for keeping us updated.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Big hugs and slobbery kisses to Aspen, I sure hope this helps her!!

I would love to hear the outcome of this and find out where you're taking her, I assume it's somewhere in Calgary & if I ever need to take one of mine to a chiro that's where I would need to go.

Please continue to keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Our vet is now 99% positive that Aspen has a partial cruciate tear, we're getting an appointment in the city for a surgical consult. If she does have a tear I want to get it dealt with ASAP so she doesn't end up like my golden retriever. When I got him he had a complete cruciate tear in one knee and a partial in the other knee. By the time he had both surgeries he has so much arthritis in his joints from the injuries, including arthritis in his wrist joints from compensating on his hind end. Our vet said that if Aspen goes into surgery while her leg is still quite healthy with good muscle then she'll recover faster and there's less of a chance she'll blow the other knee during recovery and we'll prevent too much arthritis build up in the joint.

Thank god for pet insurance....

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Oooh no! Well, I am happy that you're able to get it all dealt with. Keep us updated.

Aspen, you have one great Momma, she takes such good care of you!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Good job getting it diagnosed so quick and glad you can get her to surgery ASAP too! Ro had bilateral CCL tears as well- not fun. But acute and partial tears are easier than chronic or full tears, so it sounds like Aspen will have a speedy and full recovery. Good looking out for your pup. Best to you both!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Good job getting it diagnosed so quick and glad you can get her to surgery ASAP too! Ro had bilateral CCL tears as well- not fun. But acute and partial tears are easier than chronic or full tears, so it sounds like Aspen will have a speedy and full recovery. Good looking out for your pup. Best to you both!
Did you do TPLO surgeries on Ro? My golden had bilateral TPLO and it was great, but I worry about having TPLO surgery on a boxer since there is a risk of bone cancer as a result of the surgeries and boxers are prone to osteosarcomas.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Wishing nothing but boxer kisses and a speedy recovery. Yes you are a great boxer momma and pet insurance certainly comes in handy now

·
Registered
670 Posts
most likely the Cruciate. I'd look into casting for a while to facilitate healing... that is after a diagnoses from a DVM... don't opt for surgery as the first option as it is a very big deal with a lot of pain and crying...

21 - 40 of 41 Posts