Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to be able to not have to keep Abby and Brady in their crates while we are at work. We have a nice room that we can keep them in, let them play, cuddle, etc. So far they've been crated. For about a week, we left both crates opened and gate them so that they had access to their crates and about a 2 square foot area outside the crates. We figured if we VERY slowly expanded their area, we could eventually get there. Well every day that we did this, Abby apparently dozed in that 2 foot area and used her crate as a potty. So, after a week or a bit more, we discontinued this. It took 3 weeks to get her crate trained again, she just kept going in there, even though she was in it. Today, I crated herbut left him opened his crate door, babygating the area around it...he's trustworthy so I think he will be fine like that.

Any suggestions though on how I can introduce Abby to more room without her thinking the world is her potty? We work during the day and while we have someone come everyday to walk them in the afternoon, I don't like that she has to be crated the rest of the time. I think they would be much happier if they could spend the time together!

The good news though, we haven't had a non-crate accident in about 3 weeks now! YEAH ABBY!

·
Registered
316 Posts
No sugestions to offer!  I have a similar issue.  we are home all day but if I am not in the family room/ kitchen area (vinyl and hard wood) then I have to crate Ginsy too because as soon as her feet touch the carpet she has an irristible urge to pee :roll:  so we have yet to be able to let her into any other room in the house.

I will be eagerly watching this one- it seems more like a potty training issue to me.  Almost like she is house broken and knows not to pee or poop in the house so she uses her crate instead.

·
Registered
948 Posts
The way I did it for Toby was letting him sleep in bed.. I know its a bad habit but he knows when I want him down, he gets down. Then while he was laying on my bed, I'd leave the room every now and then for 10 minutes or so and increase the time gradually... If that helps, let me know

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Sounds like her crates become a "litter box"... I think that would be great if it wasn't her crate! Glad it's going better now though.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We did start the original process of leaving their crates open by starting with a half hour, gradually increasing until one day I was working from home (they didn't realize I was home) and I left them for 3.5 hours. No problems. But within a few days, she realized that she could get away with going in her crate, then just no sit in it. You're right, it's pretty much a litter box to her! Ha! I guess it could be worse, she could be going on the carpet and sitting in her crate...at least the crate can be taken outside to be disinfected!
I agree it's a housbreaking issue...she has become really good lately in the house, in fact, we lost power last night and stayed at my parents and no accidents even there! She still gave me the same signals, etc. It's just something about the afternoon in the crate that makes her want to pee in it!

Maybe I just return to starting with 30 minutes here and there and gradually increasing it and just keep trying till she figures it out. I thought I was pretty smart originally, I took the blanket off the bed that she sleeps on and put it in her crate thinking she would be familiar with the smell of the blanket and not want to pee on it. Hahhaha, I was wrong. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts