Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a beautiful long legged boxer, 2 years old that I would like to mate. I am not looking to make money, I am looking to save his “jewels” so to speak. Besides he would make beautiful puppies:) He is up to date with all of his shots.
He’s got great personality, his energetic, great temperament, comes from a pedigree family, his parents were show dogs. He’s got an allergy issue but it’s under control with Apaquel; other than this he’s in great health.I am new to this, I don’t know the requirements however if anyone is interested please reach out to me [email protected] or FB

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Has your dog been genetically health tested for hip dysplasia, cardiomyopathy (heart disease), sub-aortic stenosis (heart disease), thyroid disease and degenerative myelopathy. Can you provide his CHIC/or OFA# so his results can be verified?
Has he been titled and/or what performance has he competed in?
Some allergies are genetic in nature and may be passed down to his off-spring. What are his allergies? and how are they manifested?
This information is necessary to see if he is breed worthy, or if he is only "pet quality".
Having recently lost my boxer I can say I will never support the breeding of any dog without proper testing. We had the best trained, best ever dog for 5 1/2 years only to suffer extreme heart break. Think before you breed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I didn’t know you have to do all that; I didn’t have him in any shows and never will; I just hate the idea of having to castrate him;

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I didn’t know you have to do all that; I didn’t have him in any shows and never will; I just hate the idea of having to castrate him;
I’m sorry for your loss:( I can’t think of the day I may lose him; I got him from a breeder from Missouri his parents were tested; even if he’s just “pet quality” I’d still want him to keep his “jewls” without risking major health issues down the road; how do I do that?

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Well you would just need to be extra responsible that he does not get loose ever so that he doesn't impregnant another dog. There re too many in the shelters now. Or he could have a vasectomy, more expensive however you wouldn't have to worry. Talk to a few vets, (not all do it), express your concerns and ask for options.
Wishing you the best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts