Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 yr old boxer seems to be having a problem while sleeping and upon waking her up she still can not stop the twitching of her head. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
DENELL\";p=\"123658 said:
2 yr old boxer seems to be having a problem while sleeping and upon waking her up she still can not stop the twitching of her head. Any ideas?
Zulu twitches alot when sleeping but not on walks. :roll:

Maybe you should have your doggie checked at the vet to rule out any neurological disorders, unless anyone elses does it and its more natural then i thought? 8O

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sounds like a neuro issue...  My old dog used to do the same thing and it was from a pinched nerve. IMO - get it checked!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Welcome. Does he do it for a short period after waking or for an extended time? Possibly a real heavy sleeper that takes a while to fully wake. Both of our guys twitch and shake and run in there sleep. Rather comical to watch. If you have any doubt I would be off to the vet just for a piece of mind.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Jessie does the same thing... some times i shake her to wake her up an it takes for ever, but If i get up or get out of bed she is up instantly!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I would have it checked....Since it is an older dog you can probably rule out Distemper which does cause the tic's.  But there are other issues like Lyme Disease and Lepto as well as general neuro issues......This is a good one to have checked out....Most dogs will jerk, twitch and tic while sleeping, but they should not do it while fully awake......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks JessiesMom, I'm not the one with this particular dog in question. One of the young guys that works for us has this  boxer and asked if I knew anything of this sort and told him I would research but in the mean time for him to wait until further symptoms show before spending lots of money at a vet. He stated that it starts in her sleep and they wake her and she is coherent but continues to shake uncontrollable for a while. Yes it could be nervous system, early sign of seizure, etc. but until she  loses control of her bladder, unstable on her legs I think he is safe in waiting to take her to the vet.  Don't you think????

Thanks so much for being here for us Boxer Forums!!!
Karlee's Mom in So. CA
:D

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
SharolL is a vet so she has a lot of experience.  It is my understanding that if it is Lepto or Lyme the earlier you catch it the better.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
My opinion, I would get her in real soon...Some things you just don't want to mess with

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I agree! Id have them get her into a vet asap. If my dog started doing that I wouldnt waste any time getting them in!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts