Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came across a little issue with my boy Baxter.  He recently has decided to throw himself on the ground when he knows that we are going back inside whether it be after he goes to the bathroom or after playing.  I think i saw something on TV regarding this issue but i don't remember how they rectified this issue.  Today, my girlfriend actually picked him up  and brought him inside since he wouldn't get up.  He did it with me but he got up after a minute or two.  Any thoughts/suggestions????

This isn't something that we deal with everytime we come back in the house but i just don't want it to turn into a habit.  I also don't plan on having to pick him up to bring him inside.

thanks...
Baxter's dad
Ed

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I did not have a problem with Fiona laying down, but I did have a problem with her running away from me (as if I still want to play attitude) and we corrected it by taking a leash outside with us.  When she was finished going to the bathroom and we were ready to go inside, we would tell her to Sit and then put the leash on her and walk to back to the door.  This helped her and now when we tell her to come she does MUCH better with it.  So, maybe attaching a leash when he lays down would help him in knowing that you want to go back inside and you want him to walk.....

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hiya!  That is too funny!  I can see my Chloe doing the same thing.  I have the problem with getting her out of my car when we get home...she refuses to come into the house.  Battle of wills with her......i've left in her in my car, car door open, until she came into my house on her own....which ONLY took her about 20 min. (yeah me, i won that one!) I've read over and over that Boxers have quite the stubborn streak in them.  Mine sure proves all that correct!!  I've also read to keep a pocket full of their favorite treats when outside, and to continuously pop them into their mouths when they are doing something correct, OR you want to correct some sort of behavior outside.  Maybe give that a whirl.....pocket full of yummy treats!(really who can refuse that?!)  Lots of luck!  let me know what you do incase I run into the same problem....which i'm sure i will.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We live in a townhouse and don't have a fenced in yard yet (hopefully soon).      So when we take him out he is already on a leash and sometimes even the treats that he goes crazy over don't get him to move.   :?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Make sure there is plenty of room for him to get through.  My oldest one will not go through a door unless it is opened wide.  Something freaks him out about that.  Other than that, we have not had any problems.

Kind of related but not??  He will also lay down and refuse to move with a storm drain in the street.  That also freaks him out.  What can I say????  He's my spaz!  :lol:  :roll:

·
Registered
508 Posts
When I leave for work in the mornings I have to put the boys back outside while im gone. Dante will throw himself down on the ground and fight me to not put him back there and this is with a leash on. With his harness on i had to drag him across the grass to the back yard, I am not a bad parent I promise. Now i tell him to "COME NOW DANTE" with a nice firm and assertive voice. And he knows i mean business and now he follows me.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
This probably going to sound silly, but one way you can "encourage" your dog to respond to a come command (essentially this is the problem you are having) is to turn your back make really loud silly noises, wave your arms in the air like a madman and generally look like your havinf a grand time WITHOUT THEM!!!  They will become immensely curious as to what it is that your doing that your getting such a kick uot of and run over to see what it is.  When you're doing this, make it a point to check over your shoulder to see if your dog is coming and when your dog starts heading in your direction start praising like mad!!!!

Hope this helps!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
20 Posts
My puppy does the same thing, after I bring him for his walk, just as we come up the drive way he plops down on the grass and doesn't budge.... at first I would bribe him with treats but it's barely working anymore.
I feel bad cause I don't wanna pull on his leash and drag him by the neck...
He's a very stuborn little guy. lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts