Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 month old boxer who loves chasing dogs, people, kids, birds etc, etc, etc. It's fun and cute sometimes, but other times I'm afraid he might get hurt or scare someone. I've been thinking about installing an underground fence with a shock collar. Innotek seems to be the brand to use. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Everybody that lives near me seems to have electric fences. No one has a boxer though. It's either a lab or golden retriever. When we walk our boxer you can tell the dogs really want to meet her, but they get stuck in their front yard at some point.

I'll have to ask what brand my neighbors are using.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I don't know what brand it was, but my sister tried one with her golden & sometimes Jake would go right thru it & sometimes he wouldn't. But, like someone else said, it doesn't keep other pets or critters out, so you still can have a problem. Hopefully you can find a solution that will work for you..Samson told me he doesn't like fences, but understands the need to keep him safe  :)   cheers,, Samson & Willow

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
From what my sister told me when Jake used to get thru sometimes, I guess that the transformer that he was wearing sometimes didn't work, so when he got thru the fence, there was no shock. She never was able to figure out why it didn't work all the time. Luckily that was just a temp solution unltil they got the permanent fences up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Use PetSafe, not Invisible fense or Innotek. Petsafe delivers an annoying vibration, not an electrics shock. The underground wire is solid, not braided, which means if there is ever a fault in the line, it from a break, not a short. A braided line can get water in between the wires causing a short. A Solid line cannot do that, meaning if theres a break, there's a break.

You should be able to find a local installer, cost is about $1500, but it's very much worth it. They install it, they show you how to train the dogs, they warranty it.

Check it out here: http://www.petsafe.net/

You can check your phone book. I know in mine its under Fence -> Petsafe Underground Fencing
Don't go with anyone that uses a Shock(aka electric) Collar, and only uses Solid Line, and doesnt' cost over 1500 for an acre or less.

TurksDad.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I started looking into the underground fences and decided I would try the Innotek for our new pup. She's 6 months old and within 2 weeks she is trained. I didn't think it would work that fast.  :D

I let her feel the shock a few times when she went outside the boundaries, but now I only have it on the audible alert and she backs away as soon as it's heard. I still have all of the flags in the yard and we're walking the border on a leash for 15 minutes twice a day with lots of praise.

She's been tempted by her favorite neighbor plenty of times and hasn't crossed the flags yet for him. A couple dogs have walked past the house in the past couple days and she sits in the driveway watching as they go by.

·
Registered
8 Posts
wow, i'm really torn about the underground fences.  My husband and I just put in a patio and we really want Lucy to come outside with us, minus her leash!!! BUt we can't trust here w/out a fence.
A normal fence is pretty expensive and i don't know if I trust an electric fence; i think my boxer would take the shock to go see her favorite husky next door...or if a bird flew by i'm scared she'd go anyways.
Anyone else feel this way?
Advice?
Thanks.
Lucy's mom!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The shock isn't that bad, it's like a static shock. I had to try it on my skin before I put it on the baby. It's all in the training. If I solely relied on the shock, my crazy pup wouldn't care. She didn't care in the beginning either. I could tell it startled her, but she would go anywhere she wanted regardless of the shock.

I took my time and followed the training instructions and let it sink in slowly. One day she got it and she's been on her own outside for an hour at a time w/o us for a couple days now. I watch from the window just to be sure, but she's got it.

I turned away for 5 minutes today, because I trust her not to leave the yard and she destroyed our new flowers. :evil:

·
Registered
744 Posts
Just be careful to only leave her out when supervised. I was recently told of an individual who's 2 boxers were killed by coyotes inside their Invisible Fences while the owner was not paying attention.

Keep in mind that Invisible Fences may keep your dogs in, but they won't keep other dogs, coyotes, strangers, children, dog theives, etc out. Once a predator comes into the fence, your dog has no choice to run away as it will get shocked if it does. :(

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Yeah, good point. I'm not really digging the shock anyway. The audible alert is just as effective. As soon as our girl hears the tone she immediately backs away from the training flags. I should probably start the flag removal process soon. We

·
Registered
744 Posts
She crept up to the fence and got low, almost like her army crawl, then tested the boundary very slowly 1/4 inch at a time until she was through.
Oh dear! Sounds like you have a smart little girl on your hands!  :lol:

I'm sure that she'll figure it out sooner or later; just as with any training, consistency is key!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Yeah, she's very smart. I can teach her anything with a treat in my hands. The one thing I can't get her to do is to catch the treat, but she's rolling over, giving me high fives, shaking, sitting, laying down and walking on her hind legs. The walking cracks me up, she's really good at it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We believe our invisible fence has been a lifesaver for our dogs and has greatly improved their quality of life. I live on the corner of a busy street and it would not be so easy to have a regular fence. Our first boxer Tyson was very good with the first invisble fence we had but our smart alec doberman, Maverick paced the perimeter until he found a weak spot and would go through. We have now replaced fence with a better system UltraSmart Contain and Train IUC-5100 which is great! Maverick is well contained. He loves being able to go out and have free run of yard and to be with us... he will even bring his collar for us to put it on him. We also noticed that Maverick behaved better outside when kids went by and other dogs walk by... In addition to our doberboy, we now have two boxer babies and will train them for invisible fence as soon as they are old and big enough. We do not leave our dogs outside when we are not home- and we are always aware of where they are in the yard when we are home. For us it has been a godsend.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Shock fences are not reliable and not a fair thing to use on a dog.  Plus as stated doesn't keep out the riff raff either.  It is much better to supervise your dog and use a regular fence if you want them to have time out in the yard.  This is a much better guarantee and better for your relationship with your dog.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts