Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting ready to be stationed in Hawaii. We leave Friday. We noticed Rowdys lymphnodes on his chin were swollen. We had to go to the vet for his clearance to travel to Hawaii anyway. There were several nodes swollen. 3 aspirations were done. Waiting on results in a few weeks. Vet suspects lymphoma as the likely suspect since he has no fever or any other symptoms. Anybody have any other thoughts? Very nervous parents right now. He is only 6

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry Rowdy isn't feeling well. The fine needle aspirate results will should help with diagnosis. I would call the vet sooner for the results. As they shouldn't take that long. Some of Tyson's were looked by our vet under the microscope, he has a lab in office. However the ones that he couldn't diagnose , he sent to a lab for further examination but it didn't take longer then a couple of days max. Lots of healing vibes to you guys! Keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It's a matter military vet so they don't have a lab. They sent the samples to the JPC. That's why the delay. We are definitely hoping it's something other than cancer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ohh ok I understand. It could be an infection/bacteria/allergy or something with the immune system. HAng in there, you'll get the results soon I know the wait can seem like forever. Keep us posted. I am glad he is acting normal.

·
Super Moderator
7,017 Posts
That's crazy to jump to cancer without ruling out an infection! The lymph nodes routinely swell when our bodies are fighting off bacteria or viruses. If it's just an infection, it can't wait 3 weeks for answers. He needs antibiotics immediately.

If this was my dog, I would request blood work to help rule out an infection.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We are in the middle of transfering from Idaho to Hawaii. So the vet in Hawaii will do other tests once we get settled. Both doctors didn't think it was an infection because there weren't any indications of an infection.

·
Super Moderator
7,017 Posts
Im sorry, but just because your dog isn't acting sick, doesn't mean they aren't fighting off an infection. A simple blood test could of been done. Even if not done in house , the results would have been back the next day.

·
Super Moderator
7,017 Posts
Im not attacking you..... your vets logic doesn't make sense.

Let's do a biopsy instead of a blood test. Test results can be sent via email and forwarded to a new vet in a new location. You biopsied even though you were moving the next day....

By waiting on a biopsy which IMO was jumping the gun, it places your dog at risk to allow the possible infection to get worse...even going septic. I sure hope that isn't the case.

This is a forum filled with many members with lots of experience in several areas. Everyone is entitled to HELP offer advice.

You can take it or leave it or as you said leave the forum. That's entirely your decision

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Yes but we weren't going to be there the next day. I appreciate your judgmental attitude. I'll move on from this forum.
Sorry you feel advise was judgmental, it was simply advise . There was time for bloodwork before you left for Hawaii but that is on the vet not you, as we are dependent on our vets advise. Realize Kaco is a very experienced breeder with a lot of knowledge, you asked for advise and when you got it felt judged. In any case I hope your new deployment goes well I'm swore it was a stressful move especially with the dogs not being well. I hope it all works out.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Yes but we weren't going to be there the next day. I appreciate your judgmental attitude. I'll move on from this forum.
That was judgemental?? I kinda saw it as an option not considered myself. And sure you could take your ball and go home as it were?? But that would be a mistake in my view.

You got "advice" from one of the most knowledgeable members on here. And your kinda dissing em??? Often times solving doggy problems is not about what you know it's about who you know. Good luck if you decide to move on. There are some pretty useless "Boxer" sites out there ... in my view, one in particular comes to mind ... but ... no names. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts