Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 11yr old boxer began showing signs of neurological symptoms about 8 weeks ago.  It began with the lowering of her hind legs when she was standing in one spot.  It progressed to instability and weakness in her limbs - she would stumble or fall - seemingly unable to have the strength or ability to correct her posture/positioning.  She began dragging her front left paw to the point where the centre 2 nails were worn to the quick.  Then this happened to the back left paw.  Then the nail dragging became knuckle dragging on the front left paw and both rear paws.  This progression occured over the span of about 4 weeks.  To-date, the front right paw is still in tact but it is obvious that there is lameness since there is ware on the centre 2 nails.

An MRI was inconclusive.  Degenerative Myelopathy was initially considered, as well as cancer, but both are being pushed farther down the list.

Her temperment is 100% in tact and is still alert and happy.  

Has anyone had experience with this ... any insight or advise is appreciated.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Thats really sad :cry:

Havent experianced it but hope she gets better soon :cry:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
My first thought when reading was DM....is it possible that there is a pinched nerve or disc in the back?  Have they tried arthritis type meds?

G

·
0 Posts
11 yrs old - could she have had a stroke?

poor baby.  i hope they can find the cause and give her some relief.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Yep...could also be a stroke.............I was thinking to if you have removed any ticks recently? or did they check for Lepto?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
My Samson has been exhibiting those same symptoms as well and we are in the process of doing testing..Step 1 is x-rays and ultrasound tmw, depending on the results we will decide what's next...We started off on Deramaxx, which did nothing, but we are going to start on Adequan injections tmw....I also freaked cos I thought that he had DM, but my vet still feels it's more arthritic related, hence the tests..Has your vet done any x-rays, they will show a lot? My boy is 12 and as I rescued him, I don't know his background at all, so we are starting with the basics and going from there...Hoping you get some answers, I know how you are feeling

G

·
0 Posts
poor samson.  12 yrs old?  that is amazing for a boxer.  i hope his golden years are painfree and they can help him.

what kind of tests can they do to test for a stroke?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oooppps, my bad, Samson is 11..Lord have mercy I'm aging my boy  :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
sharonL\";p=\"108817 said:
[quote="grammie\";p=\"108796":37alw0rf]poor samson.  12 yrs old?  that is amazing for a boxer.  i hope his golden years are painfree and they can help him.

what kind of tests can they do to test for a stroke?
It generally involves blood, ultrasound and heart testing, but sometimes they can not show anything and there still be a stroke.  Even though the symptoms are similar between humans and dogs in the way they react and you suspect a stroke..... dog strokes aren

1 - 10 of 10 Posts