Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Yupe cannot run out of energy. He gets a lot of excercise and chews a lot. Is this normal?
He is a 14 week old puppy and weighs 20 lbs. is this good weight?:discuss:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Short answer: YES!

Longer answer: Boxers are an extremely athletic dog. They've been used in circuses, police work, military work, and as assistance dogs. For decades they've been bred for labor-intensive dogs. Just looking at an adult Boxer's build, you can see how their muscles are defined and quite large. Boxers will have tons of energy, especially as puppies.

I'm glad to hear that your Boxer gets plenty of exercise! The need for exercise is crucial for Boxer puppies, and that fact won't change for several years. Also, 20 pounds at 14 weeks sounds like he's eating well. Your Boxer is gonna grow like a weed! Good exercise and proper feeding and nutrition are pillars of keeping your Boxer happy and healthy.

Lastly, Boxers, like all puppies, go through a phase called 'teething', where they essentially gnaw on anything they can. There are a couple of ways to avoid your Boxer from gnawing on important stuff.

First, look into having plenty of toys for your Boxer, especially toys that are made specifically for the teething phase, which can be picked up at any pet store.

The second part is to make sure your Boxer is mentally stimulated. When Boxers get bored, their first instinct is to gnaw, and this is exacerbated by the teething phase. Games that stimulate your Boxer, as well as plenty of human attention, can minimize how often your Boxer puppy chews up anything important!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
My Yupe cannot run out of energy. He gets a lot of excercise and chews a lot. Is this normal?
He is a 14 week old puppy and weighs 20 lbs. is this good weight?:discuss:

Yup, sounds like a very healthy pup. Just make sure the chewing is on his toys only.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts