Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today while playing on the tennis court at my apartment by 11 month old boxer displayed some very unusual behavior. He is normally a happy wiggle butt who loves anyone to give him attention. Hes never had any bad experiences with strangers to provoke this behavior either. This guy i never met came up to the gate and asked if he could meet him, i said sure and he came in a Bruno went crazy. Hair standing up, barking, howling, and foaming at the mouth. I didnt want to correct him too much on the behavior because he was so wound up it would just get him more pissed. I put Bruno in a down stay and he calmed down and i rewarded that behavior. But once i free'd him he went back at it. In my opinion this guy was really strange. He asked my age and if i lived alone. Do you guys think that dogs can really tell if someone is "off" or a bad person?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Hmmm OK well on the one hand he acted like that with that guy??? On the other hand ... he acted like that with that guy!! :)

A dog ought not to be making "independent" decisions on who to like and not to like." That's pretty basic ... still the fact that he did comply with the Down/Stay is pretty impressive!

Really the only thing I'd point out is the use of the treat ... as I often say ... "a dog can accept a treat and still bite the crap out of someone." He did not strike but I think ... "now" you better understand why I say that. :)

Just use reasonable caution going forward ... but between your dog and the questions this guy was asking ... it sounds to me like your dog just fine. :)

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
Trust your pup instincts,there are 7 billion people on earth,this sounded like a creep;when one of my dogs does that,I just say "sorry,have a good day" and go the opposite direction

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would call the Police. You have to ask why does this guy want to know if you live alone and how old you are? and why does the stranger want to meet your dog? have you thought he may want to befriend him so he does not react if he comes again?
Perhaps Bruno has seen him up and down the road before or he has come to the gate before when you were not watching? Call me suspicious but I think you need to report the incident - I would, he may never come back to your apartment block but you could be helping someone else down the road if you report it and the Police are aware.

BTW: I think your Bruno is a champ, I don't think that weird bloke will be coming back.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Was Bruno startled when the guy came up? My 8-year old seems to need more time to acclimate with his surroundings now that he's older, especially if he's sleeping. Being in the gated area might have something to do with it. The man just sounds like he was lonely.

I think they notice "different" people. There's a very nice, but obviously handicapped man who runs near our house. My dog will lunge, and bark. This makes me so embarrassed, and he does it all the time.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
WE have a woman who jogs periodically in our sub-division. I don't know what her handicap is but her arms and legs flay, every which way when she jogs. Kai saw her for the first time yesterday and actually barked at her, we corrected him but I'm sure it was because of her unusual motions that he wasn't accustomed to seeing, he never barks at other joggers or walkers. SO this is a new one he will need to get accustomed too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The guy lives in the apartment that faces the tennis court we play in so i guess he can see whenever we go there and play. Bruno is really curious about strangers and barks when he sees them, but not like the way he barked at this guy. I trust that he felt something wrong. I didnt tell him anything besides that i DO NOT live alone, which is the truth. Even if i lived a lone i would say i didn't. He has been a lot more "manly" lately. He started lifting his leg a few weeks ago and he loves to look out the window and make little bark noises to let me know someone is there, but i don't let him do it too long because he gets obsessed with it! A lot of people tell me to get him neutered but i dont feel like the reasons are justified.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Ya, this guy sounds like a creep! I do believe dogs can sense things in people that we can't. They can tell if someone is "off". Duke loves all people and is usually happy to meet everyone. But like Bruno, he sometimes meets a person he doesn't like and we make sure to steer clear of them!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts