Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...so Astro has now been having soft stool for about 2 months.  My vet ran bloodwork and a fecal and everything came back normal.  She gave me a dewormer just incase and some medication, and he was still eating the Eukanuba Low Residue Puppy.  He finished all his medicine and he's still not getting better...things are only getting worse.  I talked to my vet today when I was at work and she told me we were going to change his food, so he's now on Hills Prescription Diet W/D.  He is going to start it tomorrow.  She said to give it 4-5 days and if he still hasn't gotten any better she's going to prescribe some Baytril to treat his colitis.  My poor baby...I feel so bad for him.  Sometimes he can't hold himself and he still messes in the crate, and other times he seems constipated.  I hope he gets better real soon cause I can't see him living the rest of his life like this...he's only 10 months old.  I'll keep you guys updated and let you know if the food works or if he goes on more medicine.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
In all actuality, what your describing really does sound like colitis.  If the doc puts him on meds for it, keep him on it as the doc recomends.  He will get to feeling better on it.  I can give you some herbals remedies that support the digestive track.  They won't fix the prolem, but will help the meds do their job and help his body break down his food better so that he gets every scrap of nutrition from his food that he can.  Let me know.

Good Luck!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lillyzmomma - I've heard coconut can help with chronic diarrhea in dogs.  I don't know if it's true, but I would really appreciate some herbal remedies.  Thank you very much.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I don't know that Hills would be the way to go.  I've heard Hills referred to as Science Death instead of Science Diet because the first ingredient is corn. :x   Corn is hard for little tummies to digest.  We use Nutro Natural Choice and have had nothing but good with it.  Nice, firm stools and a happy bouncy pup.  Henry is also ten months old.  Is your pup losing weight or acting not quite up to snuff?
Keep us updated.
We're praying for you! :)
Zhanna

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
[quote="spoiledrottenboxers\";p=\"15384":1yj9w167]lillyzmomma - I've heard coconut can help with chronic diarrhea in dogs.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I would recommend an herbal product called Fast Balance, G.I. . It adds the good bacteria back into the digestive tract and also has pectin and lots of other good natural things. Google it, You can buy it online and give it with the food.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
OK...as for the coconut, I wouldn't use it unless you can get it fresh!!!  Due to where I live, I can just run down to the market and pick some up.  Lilly gets a bit as a "snack".  It does fight off a variety of fungal and bacterial issues.  Lilly loves it!!!

There are several things that you can use for the GI.  Do you want to know what kinds of herbs you can grow (or pick up) and use or the kinds of remedies that you can pick up at a store in pill form that have an all around kind of affect (there are several herbs in pill form that have an all around good GI effect)!  Let me know and I will shoot it to you!!!

Liz and Lilly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts