Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Re: Update on Attila's Broken leg.

Sorry to hear that Attila has been having a rough go with his leg. How did Attila break his leg? I think I must of missed that post.
Hope that the new vet is better suited for you and that Attila makes a good recovery!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Sorry that you are having such issues with the splints, poor Attila...Sounds like even tho it's a further drive, switching vets may not be a bad idea...Glad to hear tho that he is progressing....

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

The leg is healing faster then they thought however the lacerations from the spint rapping is causing us to doubt the knowledge of the vet.  

He broke his leg on 2/18, both dogs jumped of the couch when I arrived home from work at about 10:30am and the wife was home so this why dogs were out of the cage.  Anyways he landed first and daphne's front left leg landed on attila's front right leg above the wrist.  This caused his leg to snap in half because it dont take that much pressure to break a bone.  I walk in the door and he's not wimpering or woo wooing just being very calm and I grabbed him from my wife and remote started the car and told her to drive to the vet closest to us which is our now current vet.  I go on the phone with old vet stating to fax over all vet records to the new vet.  They did x-rays and verified complete seperation of both bones.  They kept him over night and asked if splint or surgery......250 +35 per spint or 2000.00 for surgery?  We already decided to call his breeder stating that he will not be going back to MO for stud evaluation at 18months, so being just our baby we decided we can care for him with just a splint and getting it changed every week.  I dont know about others but I can afford to fork over 2000.00 for surgery.  And now 3 1/2 weeks later we are about to be on his 4th spint and now have two lacerations on his leg one at the elbow and one below the elbow.

I stated that they will need to read about splint placement so that he dont keep cutting his leg because of their splint placement.

I will post a picture of the spint and laceration once he wakes up this morning.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts

It sems like Attila is healing and going along well, I am happy to hear it....When it comes to a splint on a broken leg you certainly want to use someone who knows what they are doing.  The placement of the splint is very important to position the leg and then the bone to a normal healing situation.  Unfortunantly, sometimes the best place for the splint is in an area that rubs.  They may need to cut the splint shorter at the top or notch it for the elbow lower, possibly use more rolled cotton pad at that site.....But, even with the best orthopedic vet sometimes blisters and raw spots happen when dealing with a splint.....

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Below are pictures of attila's leg as of last night.  I just got back about 2hours ago from the vet where a really good vet (the one that splinted him the first time) put a new splint on.

The cuts are from other vets at the hospital that did not know how much padding to use and how high/low the splint should be.  The laceration look worse then what it is,  the pictures were taken just after we cleaned around the cut and him getting one last lick in before the e-collar went back on after eating his supper.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Re: Update on Attila's Broken leg. Caution when looking at

Poor guy- his face looks so pitiful! I hope he gets better real soon. It was such a freak thing to happen to him...

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The vet stated 4-6 weeks more because of the lacerations and then x-rays to be done, then will decide if needs more splints.  She stated he will have a permanent limp due to not doing surgery.  But that is okay as long as he can walk on it again.

·
Registered
942 Posts

aw man, poor baby...he looks soo miserable. :(

·
Registered
913 Posts

Healing wishes to our Buddy Attila :cry: . Give him lots of Boxer LUVIN" from Ashley and my self. He will be on the mend before you know it!!
Dang other Vet..he should have HIS circulation cut off by a cast so he can see what that poor boy is going through!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

{{Healing Vibes}} being sent your way! I hope Attila heals without further complications.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

The lacerations do look nasty..Hoping Attila heals up. Poor guy, he sure does look miserable

·
Registered
2,592 Posts

Awww Attila! Phoenix sends healing wiggles you way.
That looks pretty sore and raw...hopefully he'll make out better this time around.

BTW...i never noticed the white markings on the top of his nose, its very unique!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts

Owwwwy!!! I hope he feels better soon!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts

Hope he feels better soon.  Those do look pretty rough....Padding and the right splint height is the key :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

Poor Attila, Kiah and I send kisses, hugs and get better soon wishes.

·
Registered
880 Posts

Poor baby, I'm so sorry.  At least he can still get around by himself.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts

awww that looks so terrible. I hope he gets better quick. give him hugs for us!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts