Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so axle has been on raw for 4 months now had to take it a little slower with him so he is now eating chicken turkey necks and beef like a champ when he eats beef I need to add a little bone in or his pops soften up...

But now I am not sure what to go I can't do any fish in my house because me and my daughter are deathly allergic...

So I am not sure what kind of supplements to add to his food and how much to make up for the omega 3s and stuff...

I was thinking pork then slowly start adding organ meat if I do pork should I do a bone in pork and if so what cut of pork should I get with the bone...
I don't want to give him anything to hard or that could hurt him

Here is a couple pictures of him he is about 55 pounds and 6 and half months old

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
He is looking good!! :)

I don't know that it's necessary to feed fish? I'll leave that one up to the experts.

As for the Omega3 - can you handle the fish oil capsules?

Flax seed and soy beans are high in omega-3 but I'm not sure if they are ok to feed to your dog? You can also purchase flax seed oil.

Grass fed beef is also high in omega-3 but it is more expensive and harder to source.

·
Super Moderator
7,007 Posts
Ok, so I would go with pork next. Some people can feed an entire boneless meal however I have found that my guys do better with bone in each meal. So I would feed either chicken or turkey necks with beef or pork. When first starting to introduce pork I would feed the majority of the meal as bone heavy chicken and only add in 3 oz of pork. See how his body responds. If it's good, then in a few day increase that amount to 5oz. Most of my meals are made up of 25% poultry in the form of backs, necks or whole bird with 65% as boneless meats such as beef hearts! pork hearts, lamb and 10% organs.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the reply's I have been doing chicken thighs as his bone in chicken as it seems to be the perfect amount for him....

If he is getting a good hunk of beef or something with no bone then I do turkey necks with it as it has more bone in it and seems to keep things firmer...

Any other things I should do the o e that has me wondering the most is what kind of supplements should I add with his food to make up for the no fish ?

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
So after doing a bit of research on this because it peaked my interest, it seems that flax seed oil is very high in omega-3 and is safe to give to your dog.

Can anyone else corroborate this?

You can also buy eggs with omega-3 additives and feed a raw egg every so often.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts