Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you all so much for the positive vibes, I do appreciate it.  

The vet could not figure out what was wrong with Beckham.  The x-ray apparently showed a little white in his chest, but that's all.  Didn't think it was the trachea, because his airways were the things that were swollen. ALL tests came back normal - blood, stool, x-rays.
And Beckham was COMPLETELY traumatized from the whole x -ray/going onto his beck procedure.  He went from having a slight cough, to having a wooping cough and coughing up blood.  Morgan called to tell me this; I burst into tears in my office.

The vet told her to try and get him to take his oral meds throughout the day, but Beckham kept throwing EVERYTHING UP (he was actually hungry, but nothing would stay down) and he would continue hacking.  

I'm sure you all know the feeling, but I was inconsolable yesterday.  Sobbing all day long, he's our baby and we just love him so much.  I don't know what I would do if we were to lose him.  He's so young, and I was so FRUSTRATED with no one knowing what was wrong with him!

So by late afternoon Morgan made an appointment at an overnight well known animal hospital (her co-worker does Minpin rescue and swears by it).  By then, Beckham was still coughing, hadn't eaten or drank all day except a LITTLE water that actually stayed down.   She said when she was en route to the doctor he was coughing less.  She ran into a woman who had a 13 year old boxer named Bo, who actually sounded like he experienced the same thing as Beckham: pulling too hard, bruising his trachea.  Said he was coughing so badly it sounded like he was going to die, then put him on a harness and he was fine after that.  

So Morgan mentioned this to the vet (who she really liked), and she checked Beckham over and said she was stumped, too.  Didn't say much about the bruised trachea, but his lungs sounded pretty rough.  they hooked him up to some IVs to medicate and hydrate him.  So we had him stay overnight, which was so heartbreaking.  I know it was best, but coming home to an empty house with his toys was just awful.  I called the vet place before they closed, and they told me they were going to attempt feeding him overnight since they have a 24 hour watch.

I called there this morning; Beckham ate on his own and DIDN'T throw up!! SUCH A good sign, I think.  He was still coughing a little but not as much, and they induced coughing by gently thumping his chest to get the phlegm out.  She also said he seemed quite perky this morning, and all the staff had fallen in love with him, haha. :)   Morgan is going to stop by and see him on her lunch.  If all goes well and he continues to make progress, I hope and pray we can bring him home tonight!! I miss him so so so much. So please, cross your fingers all and send positive vibes this way!  Also, anyone with input on this condition, or have heard of things like it, I am all ears.  He had already had Kennel Cough, was this a continuation? Pneumonia?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
That really sounds like an enormous improvement.  Good Luck to Becks!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks much; we're just hoping he gets better as the day goes on.  it's so so scary to have our baby that sick.

·
Registered
616 Posts
My heart goes out to you.  Anyone that has had to leave their baby at the vet's without knowing what is wrong can truly understand.  We are sending good vibes out to him today and hopefully he will be back home soon.  He sounds like he is in the best place right now.  It's just hard to wait while they work their magic.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
we are sending prayers to beck! it is a scary thing, and i can understand the sadness when you came home with no bundle of joy to greet you. Keep us posted on how he is doing!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Sounds like he is doing a lot better than yesterday... I know it kills us when our babies aren't feeling well, we feel so helpless.  :(
Hopefully the vets will get to the root of Beckhams problem. Sending nothing but ((((getbettersoonbeckham)))) vibes your way.
Keep us updated.  :wink:

·
Registered
214 Posts
I really hope that everything turns out ok for you and your baby! My fingers are crossed and my prayers go out to you. Lots of love

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
That's just amazing. My husbands cat went through a situation like that but I'm PRETTY sure that what's going on with him is completely different than what happened with Dragon (the cat).

I'm so sorry for everything that is going on with him...but he's getting better... and soon he'll be back to his old self! Our hearts go out to your family!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Becks huny, you got to get well, you are worrying Mommy & Daddy to death..Poor baby, my heart goes out to all of you...Sounds like he is on the mend, but that had to have been tough leaving him at the vets all nite, but sounds like it had some positive results...I know Kennel Cough lingers for quite awhile, so it's possible he could still have it..Hopefully this vet will get to the bottom of the problem so Becks can get home where he should be.....Keep us posted....

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
awesome...

I got a harness for Jessie and once i figure out how to put it on im sure our walks will be better too!

·
Registered
977 Posts
I've ordered a harness for Voltaire but it still hasn't turned up yet. I'll let you all know if it's any good. Pleased Becks is getting back to his fighting fit old self :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
What a great way to start my morning with that awesome news....Soo glad to hear that Becks is home and doing better....Good idea about the shower, heck it works for us, why not for our babies too? Use the harness for now, as it obviously is better than a regular collar, poor baby...Glad he's back home and doing great...Bet you all were doing the happy dance, huh?  :dance:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[quote="samsonsmom\";p=\"7348":38e6v9qo]Glad he's back home and doing great...Bet you all were doing the happy dance, huh?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
White wine? Now that got my attention real quick...I'm the resident whino around here I think..Lol....Can't think of a better way to celebrate a homecoming than that....

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
samsonsmom\";p=\"7352 said:
White wine? Now that got my attention real quick...I'm the resident whino around here I think..Lol....Can't think of a better way to celebrate a homecoming than that....
LOL I'm a big wine-o too! We should swap tastes! I love reds AND whites

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Have to start a thread on that too I think...I'm more of a white wine drinker myself,,and of course I love the bubbly.... :winkle:

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'm very ashamed :oops:  to say that i'm living in France and i can't get into the wine thing. I mean, it's a way of life here, people are passionate about it. When i go to a swish restaurant and order a coke waiters look at me as if i'm something the cat dragged in :lol: Then they hear my english accent and it's  :snooty: like they're not surprised that i'm without taste! My Dad's a food writer so there's always been wine around the house growing up but i'm bloody useless and they all taste the same to me:oops: !!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts