Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we took Brodi to see his vet and also met with a behaviorist while we were there. We explained all his issues he was having and she told us putting him on meds was going to be her last resort. She sat with us for awhile explaining all of our options and gave us homework before we left which was to completely puppy proof our house because she wanted us to try leaving him for 10 mins alone with full run of our home. The thought of leaving a 12 week old puppy with full run of the house made me freak but she reassured me that as long as the house was puppy proof he would be okay and that he could cause more harm to himself being in a crate and flipping out as bad as he does. She believes Brodi has more of a really bad fear of being barricaded in to a certain spot. I am happy to say we puppy proofed the house and shut all the doors to the bedrooms and bathrooms and left him and Chloe alone for 10 mins with their kongs and he didn't have any issues! no barking..crying..vomiting, drooling..nothing!! I have left them alone for an hour in the morning yesterday and today and everything is still going fine. The behaviorist informed me that he does not have SA cause if he did he would still of had issues with us leaving because the symptoms of SA start more or less as soon as they are left alone. I am still having issues and fears with leaving him alone while he is so small but I keep reminding myself he could harm himself more being confined into a room or crate. Just wanted to let you all know how he was doing and wanted to thank you all for being there for me!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I am so glad the behaviorist was able to clarify the issue for you and give you some ideas.  Poor baby, its too bad they can't tell us what their problems are.  Hang in there, hopefully it will only get better.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Glad you were able to get some answers Shari...Yea, it's hard to think of leaving a 12 wk old alone with complete run of everything, but obviously Brodi has some issues and if this helps, well that is great...Don't forget, your fears and anxieties will transmit to him as well, so try and stay calm and positive. Sounds like you have made a big step forward, hoping it continues to get better

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Shari, that is exactly what I had to do with Buster. It works! Some people will argue with me on this (and they have!) but some dogs just can not be crated. It was way too stressful in the crate for Buster also. He would vomit all over himself, drool until he was soaked, pee and poop, and eventually he learned how to break out of the crate. I really thought he was going to kill himself in the crate. I just puppy proofed really well. Close all the doors, make sure their is nothing that can harm Brodi laying around, and I'm sure he will do just fine. I did come home to a couple of eaten throw rugs, magazines, and a throw pillow destroyed. But, I think he would have been far worse had I insisted on keeping him in the crate. Good luck with Brodi, and please keep us updated on how he is doing!  :)

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
OMG Shari, I haven't been around lately so I didn't even know he was having some problems being crated/barricaded. I'm so glad that giving him free run is working for him. YOu guys are in my thoughts! I hope he continues to do well.

When I saw the title.."Brodi update" I was so worried! Glad it's a good update and he is healthy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts