Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had mentioned to a few people that I have been involved in a court case.  We finally finished everything up and I thought it may be informative to share what happened.

To understand the story for those who did not hear about it:

A local breeder who sells English Bulldog pups was sued by a buyer because their puppy broke out with demodectic mange.  They contacted the breeder under the "puppy warranty" they offered and wanted a refund. They did not want to return the puppy though.

The breeders contract did not list this condition as something that fell under their warranty or that it did not. The breeder contacted their vet, visited sites on the net and came to court with the basis that it was stress induced and therefore not any fault of their own or the breeding parents.

During the course of the case an additional 3 pups from the mother were found to have had an outbreak as well and it became a major ordeal for the breeder.

Once all was said and done the judge ordered the breeder to refund the cost of the puppies to help cover veterinary care for the demodectic mange, the kennel club responded with a letter that they did not support a breeder to continue breeding a female once they had been aware that that mother had puppies with demodectic mange and advised all owners to file a complaint with the kennel club providing copies of the registration papers listing the mother and father for their records.
The breeders have 60 days to refund the money for all 4 puppies at a cost of $1500.00 a piece!

A word of advice for breeders and buyers check you wording and clause on demodectic mange in your puppy contracts/guarantees/warranty.......

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FREDOSMOM\";p=\"44028 said:
What exactly is demodectic mange? Is it something only small puppies get or can a dog get it at any time?
It is a mite that is located in the hair follicle.  It is thought to be passed from mother to puppy in the first few days of life.  
I normally see it in dogs between 3 and 6 months of age, but I have seen an 8 year old dog just 2 weeks ago have it's first outbreak....So the answer is it can show at any age.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Oh my goodness, the poor baby. Thanks for the info...i'm paranoid when it comes to my little man's health so I like to know everything I can. We have a follow up vet appointment today b/c he had giardia and I'm praying it's gone.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
wow..well they should be liable..tough situation..hopefully all the pups get the treatment they need and are all ok...thakn you once again Sharon for sharing something so so important for all to know...:):)

hey is Fiona going trick or treating tonite with ricky? hehehe..and piggy too of course

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Good information Sharon and something to look for in contracts....Rotflmao Ky, yup, I'd like to see the Trick Or Treaters in action as well  :) Would that not be a picture?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
sharonL\";p=\"44050 said:
[quote="Sadiesmomma\";p=\"44038":1i10zsk8]OMG that poor baby. So someone just let that happen to Biscuit?>?
Yeah I guess you can say her owners let it happen because they did not have her treated.[/quote:1i10zsk8]

OMG that is awful. I know I am going off the thread topic, but did Biscuit make it? Thanks so much Sharon for raising this issue, now I at least know what Mange is and what to look for and if I purchase another puppy to look in the contract for it.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sadiesmomma\";p=\"44095 said:
[quote="sharonL\";p=\"44050":16gjuab7][quote="Sadiesmomma\";p=\"44038":16gjuab7]OMG that poor baby. So someone just let that happen to Biscuit?>?
Yeah I guess you can say her owners let it happen because they did not have her treated.[/quote:16gjuab7]

OMG that is awful. I know I am going off the thread topic, but did Biscuit make it? [/quote:16gjuab7]

Yes I guess i should not have left you hanging on what happened to biscuit, here are some follow up photos.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Wow! Great improvement. Anna looks so much better!  :D  Glad she was adopted out and is in a much better environment!  :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Gret information, thanks for posting it Sharon.  So glad to see Anna found a forever home.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Milo had BAD demodex when he was a puppy. I was only 18 when I got him and didn't know what demodex was, so it got pretty bad before it got any better. I'm glad to hear those people got their money back though and hopefully they won't bread the mother anymore.

I don't have any of the really bad pictures uploaded or on this computer, but you can tell here his coat is pretty thin.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Wow Sharon, I would not have believed that was the same Boxer.....Totally different, new name a new life huh??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts