Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He is doing much better since his little "scuffle" with the Rotty, but now he seems to be developing a rash around one of the wounds cause he won't stop licking it.  I may have to take him to the vet and get him one of those silly-ass cones to keep him from lickin the wound.  Anyone have any suggestions to help stop him from licking it so much??  It doesn't seem to be healing, and I am thinkin that the lickin is why.  What should I do?????

G

·
0 Posts
you don't have to go to the vet to get a cone, we got one for one of our dogs from a pet store...

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I remember someone asking a person at Petsmart and they said to try BitterApple or something like that... just DON'T PUT IT ON THE WOUND... just AROUND.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good thing I have Banfield as my Vet....if they don't have a cone for me I can just check if PetSmart has one!!!  I feel so bad cause he seems to really be struggling with this.  We'll see what happens tomorrow.  Thanks for the suggestion though Aquagirl.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
You know how when you get a cut or scrape it starts to itch as it's healing?  That is probably what is going on here.  It itches, so he's licking it.  
Rocky had a lick granuloma once because he was licking at a bug bite and wouldn't stop.  Licked all the hair off and everything.  Anyhow, doc gave me some really nasty smelling/tasting medicine to put on it.  Helped it to heal, and pup didn't want to lick it cause it was nasty.  But I don't know if you can do that with a big wound.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
ya Onyx did the same thing with a centipede bite on his leg...you can go to petsmart and get the bitter apple of something like it id bet..

but make sure its just as simple as not healing b/c of licking it and nothing else like got reinfected..

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I've tried the bitter orange, it was a gel like substance that you can spread around the wound (not on, it will really sting) and it tastes really nasty, so it is suppose to deter pets from licking. It did not deter Buster though.  I could be wrong in this, but I think it's actually good if they lick their wounds. I believe it helps to keep it clean and heal quicker. I guess it would also depend on what type of wound it was.  :roll:

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
im glad you said that b/c i thought of that after i posted..i know its supposed to be a good thing in some cases but what is the not good scenario? lol

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Licking sometimes is not a bad thing unless it becomes a constant habit, keeping it wet, it getting red or little bumps around the outside areas.  Are there stitches there??? If so that can cause them to lick.  
The really nasty stuff that the vet has....well that is the same thing they sell for humans to not bite their fingernails....So, you can get a bottle of that and use the brush that comes inside the bottle to paint around the outside area of the wound....It works great...

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Charlie will lick an area also.  The last couple of days he's been licking his paw.  I've checked it over a bunch of times and can't find anything.  My only guess is the black part of the pad might have a tear.  He limped on it for a couple of minutes and hasn't since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts