Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to update as to the progress of the babies fighting. Liz was so kind in helping me and things are starting to smooth over and it seems to be helping a great deal...hopefully it will be useful information to others should this ever arise.

Here are some things that we have determined...obviously jealousy was an issue between the two of them. Despite our best efforts to keep them together as we played with them, etc, Liz advised that we really need to make sure they are both included when one is getting pet and to try to persuade the other to join wherever possible. So if Abby comes looking for lovin', as she always does, try to pull Brady into it too, rather than giving her love, then going to give Brady love.
Also, Liz suggested that they may have been treated a bit differently by my parents while we were on vacation than what they are used to from us and came back home to us nervous about their place with us. Now, don't get me wrong here, my parents love over them as though they were their own dogs (my dad lays on the floor for hours with them watching them play, then I have to hear hours worth of "band camp" stories..."You know what they did?!!?!??!?!") but I can see her point. My father is insanely in love with both...but Brady is shy until he becomes very comfortable with someone. For weeks upon weeks when we got him, he was very independant and honestly, wanted little to do with us...then all of a sudden, one day he got comfortable and became a velcro dog. He is so attached to me now. He is not that cuddly though with anyone other than my husband and I. So I am sure Abby got more attention from my parents because while she goes looking for lovin', he avoids it from anyone but us.  When he came home, he wanted our attention and maybe after a week of not wanting much attention, he felt the need to keep me for himself...thus, whenever Abby was too clingy with me or too close to me, it seemed a fight would break out. Abby, on the other hand, has been very attached to my husband until we got back from vacation. When we got back, she was extremely attached to me for a few days, which conflicted with Brady's need for my attention.  
Things are starting to smooth out as Abby is turning towards my husband again and I am using the tactics Liz gave me to sucker them both into lovin' when one wants it. I have also tried to stay out of their play. Where ususally I will sit on the floor while they romp and let them use me as "home base," I have tried to stay out of it completely because Brady usually does a summersault into my lap and plays with Abby from there. (He is smaller, so he gets a little more leverage by being in my lap).  I have backed out of this for a while, hoping to avoid any jealousy from one being in my lap, etc.  Last night they actually played with one kong together for about an hour without a single eruption. (the kong had a bit of peanut butter left in it so I was prepared for something, but nothing happened.)
I have also tried to stay very calm with my voice when I see that glare start between them...Brady jumped into my lap last night to "help me" write a quick note (by trying to chew on the other end of the pen). When Abby started to approach to see what all the activity was about, he started the glare and got mad at her. I told him "no", took both collars and started to pet them and talk calmly. It settled very quickly and Brady went to nuzzle her.
Overall, by using her tactics and paying close attention, the frequency of oncoming tiffs has decreased significantly and "talking them out out it" has become much easier. Hopefully, within another week, all will be back to normal.
So, Liz, thank you so much for taking the time to talk with me, I truly appreciate it. And I hope some of this may help others who go through a rough period with puppies not getting along.

Sarah

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you! much relieved that this wasn't a hueg issue....they just needed some time and I just needed to advise from Liz!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
:clap: Now that's what I like to hear! That is awesome...Glad they are doing so much better....Way to go guys and Liz for helping figure it all out!

·
Registered
780 Posts
That is great news!  We had to do those same things with our two who were getting into fights over food and being first in things.  They are completely different babies now and it is so nice!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Excellent!! Great work!!  :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts