Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past i have posted about my dogs health problems (ibd) and behavior problems which included hating his crate, going potty in the house, and walking horribly on the leash. I wanted to give an update on how hes doing. He finally reached 50 lbs and is having much better bowel movements I'm hoping to cut back or get him off the antibiotics and steroids in May. Hes definitely just a small boxer in general and hes as tall as hes going to get since hes over 1 year old but im hoping to see him fill out in the next 1-2 years as long as his ibd doesnt flare up. A lot of people think hes a girl because hes small. haha. His behavior has drastically calmed down since turning 1 and hes fine to lay around for a day with me watching tv, but after that hes ready to play play play. He talks to me all the time and has such a personality i love him so much. I've been working with a trainer to train with an e-collar and its helped so much to perfect the commands he knows. He knows heel, sit, stay, down, place, kennel, & come(sometimes), but i never practice his recall unless were in a fenced in location or on the long line. He reacts a lot to people and other dogs. He pulls and whines so much because he wants to go see them, so were working on his focus. I normally just put him into a down until they pass by.
Hes my best friend and im so proud of how far hes come!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
For the recall if you are using a E-Collar ... then apparently ... you also need to have a long line to guide the dog back to you! Otherwise the stims simply means ... "I'm suppose to do something but what???" Are you working with a trainer???

And if you are always putting him into a down with distractions??? That means ... that you are training him to "expect" to do "something" if there are distractions. I don't do that ... I prefer ... "do nothing dog" other dogs or people are not your concern dog ... we keep moving. A slight tug sideways if required should get the point across. :)

Or if that is not practical ... we step aside. Typically all I'll say is "Stay" if required, other than that as long as my dog is not being a tool ... I'll say nothing. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts