Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off by saying that i am so happy with Savannah! Last night as i was sitting on the couch watching tv i noticed Savannah out of the corner of my eye trying to pick something up. I sat back and kept watch out of the corner of my eye to see what it was. to my surprise she picked up her football toy for the very first time EVER! she nabbed it and started running back and forth down the hall with it in her mouth. I was happy to see her finally playing with her toys. i had to get my camera and snap a few pics. As she was running Reese kept jumping up trying to snatch it, and they tusseled for a bit over it. Savannah won! She has learned to sit, laydown and i can ask for "lovins" and she gets up on her hind legs for hugs. i figured we would work on stay next. She has been doing so well i am so very proud of her.

Reese is doing well. She has not had one accident in her kennel since we got her last friday, and we have only had 3-4 accidents in the house..... oh wait never mind-make that 5 accidents :p never poo-just pee.  the only issue that i am having right now with her is how to get her to stop trying to lead me on our walks and to understand that i lead. She keeps yanking on her leash when we go for walks. I do the halt, and then stay for a few minutes for her to calm then start over but it doesnt seem to be working. Any advice guys let me know-i am all ears!

·
Registered
375 Posts
They are both Beautiful!! I love Savannahs color!! My American Pitbull terrier use to lead me durring walks, I bought a gentel lead and it is GREAT!!! Its a head halter and it controls the pulling.
Jessica

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
For the pulling.  Just keep doing what you're doing and give it time!  There is no easy fix for this it just takes, time, time, time and consistancey.  You could use a product called Sensation Harness for a back up on walks ( I do on my pup and helps to keep from choking herself) but the plan is still stop all forward motion.  Use a change of direction too.  Then atleast you will get somewhere.  Use a "let's go this way" and switch directions.  When leash stays loose keep walking ahead, when pulling happens say let's go this way and reverse again.  It is just so full of wonderful stuff out there for puppies (and big dogs too) that we get excited and want to pull ahead.

I don't like the Gentle leader type head halters with any dog, particulary short faced.  People think you have a muzzle on your dog and that is not a message I wish to convey and they are very uncomfortable to wear and I want my dogs to trust me and this is not an item that I care to use.  

Wonderful that they are playing together!  YEah!  Cute photo's and hang in there it is a JOURNEY NOT A DESTINATION!  Enjoy the journey of developing a wonderful relationship with your dogs.

Best wishes,

Nano

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Wow!!! Both of them look great!  :D  They look very happy and healthy...there coats are soooo shiny!  :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts