Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We have a 5 month old boxer that recently has had an upset tummy on a few occasions. He came to us as a puppy at 9 weeks on Eukanuba Puppy Food which he wasn't really into and it was hard work in getting him to eat it and we found he was very windy so we swapped him onto Royal Canin Boxer Puppy specific food December which he seems to love and has cut out any wind. At the end of January he got a very upset tummy and after giving him Protexin Pro Biotic paste it still wasn't any better and turned into very liquid mucus type poos which is when we got concerned. After taking him to the vet where he got some anti biotics and bland Hills Prescription diet food for a few days, he recovered quickly and things were back to normal. The vet told his he had picked something up and was struggling to fight it off himself. However 3 weeks later we are having the same problems again but not as bad yet, there is no mucus, no desperation for the toilet (which there never was), just that when he goes it is very runny or soft. He is bright in himself, still energetic and drinking. We have no idea what the problem is, we havent given him anything different and obviously started this new food back in December.

Has anybody had any similar situation with their boxer?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Yes, I had some very difficult digestive problems with my current female Boxer. When she was young she got coccidia don't know where but it set off a whole long process of trying to get her stools straight again. Puppies are susceptible to coccidia and other things like hookworms and whip worms so testing the stool is beneficial. My dog ended up with an overgrowth of bacteria in her intestines and was having constant diarrhea with blood in the stool my Vet was getting ready to start food trials with her (which would have been very expensive) until I ran across and article on Boxer forum regarding the very same issue and I downloaded a paper and took it to the Vet and he prescribed Baytril which literally she was improving in a matter of days after months of bloody diarrhea so she was given Baytril for several weeks and was put on Royal Canin Fiber Response Veterinary diet and she did get all better best to get all other tests cleared. I think put her on Royal Canin Boxer and she has done well no more problems. I hope you can find out what's bothering your dog like I said there is a lot of good info on this site!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts