Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Urgent need to breed

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Kaco Boxers 
#1 ·
I inherited my mother's boxer 6 years ago. Her love for him was everything in her life, I wasn't much of a dog person and my mother would not put me on her will to care for satch, well all the sudden I had a dog and I told myself I would try my hardest to be a good dog owner and care for him. I fell in love with him and he's old now and I desperately need to breed him, three puppies are needed from him for the rest of the family.
I wish I would of listened to my mom when she was telling me satchs bloodline papers were from a 300 year pedigree, the breeder is also a famous book writer.
I will gather any info needed for an interested party.

#6 ·
Sorry you lost your Mom and yes she was right Boxers are special dogs, if you don't know much about dogs in general you may want to enlist the help of an experienced breeder as you may end up with health or temperament problems you will not want. I hope your other family members are wanting these dogs not for nostalgia and memories of your Mom but because they truly love this breed they are a lot of work to raise from puppies and require full time attention and love and you have to be willing to care for all their needs day and night it is a huge commitment and not to be taken lightly. These dogs deserve only the best.

#8 ·
That is wonderful you have had him health tested. I hope you will find a female that is health tested as well its very important. I am glad you can appreciate what your Mom was trying to tell you all along! It sounds like she put a lot of love time and attention towards him and you are honoring her memory by taking good care of him I am sure she is happy to know that you are finding solace in each other.

#9 ·
There are several genetic tests you should have on him prior to breeding him. He could have a recessive gene say for degenerative myelopathy and if ou breed him to another who also carries that gene, pups can end up with it. So some good breeders have their dogs health tested for hip dysplasia, cardiomyopathy (heart disease), sub-aortic stenosis (heart disease), thyroid disease and degenerative myelopathy. From there I would approach a reputable breeder who could possibly mentor you for this litter. Recently I lost my boxer who appeared healthy but in a weeks time had a turn around and couldn't be saved. I will purchase my next boxer from a breeder who has genetically health tested (not just their vet saying yes he is healthy). Though that wouldn't have helped me but Its just too painful to lose a great dog that you invested tons of time and money into. Good luck in your endeavor.

#10 ·
First off your boy is in his prime and isn’t considered old at all.

You need to contact the AKC with his information and see about obtaining his papers prior to even consider breeding him. Not all dogs are meant to have litters of puppies and only those who are conformationally correct and health tested should be considered.

Once you have his papers in your name you should then thoroughly health test him for OFA Hips. See a cardiologist for an echocardiogram and 24 hr heart holter. Have your vet send blood away to OFA for thyroid testing and have him swabbed for degenerative myelopathy.

If he has then passed all his genetic health screenings then you can start your search for a suitable mate who has also had all their genetic health clearances done.

Just an FYI, Terry Albert is not a dog breeder let alone a boxer breeder. She was a dog trainer who now runs an in home boarding kennel. She has written several breed specific books.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.