Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For anyone that's in the Orlando area that may want to check out some sport boxers.. the 2017 USABox IPO Nationals will be taking place Nov. 3 hosted by the Schutzhund Club of Orlando.
There seem to very little internet info on the event , if I find a link, I'll posted it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Lol Nothing here either!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly there's not going to be something in each of your states (or CA).
There's just not a ton of sport boxers out there, so most trials will be regional at best. So the one coming up in FL is being put on by the Southeast Boxer Klub (ie: the southeast region)
It's possible there are local events but they would be put on by local clubs and chances are they aren't going to be promoted much. It will most likely be all breeds (so mostly GSD, Mals and handful of other dogs).

If you want to check one out... you have to hunt around a bit.
I'm not sure what's in Canada, as far as working trials.
Chip, the closest to you would be something hosted by Boxers West (or a small local club)
Linder, yours would be the one in FL put on by the Southeast boxer club (or small and something local)

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
I'm not sure what's in Canada, as far as working trials.
Chip, the closest to you would be something hosted by Boxers West (or a small local club)
Linder, yours would be the one in FL put on by the Southeast boxer club (or small and something local)
Thanks I took a look but it would seem there is nothing close to me??? :(

Most likely it would be a GSD club in Reno and they seem to be hard to find also?? But I did find, Therapy Dog, Obedience Trial and Herding Dog training in Truckee! That is close enough and a couple of years ago , there was a High Ranking Boxer Herder Dog out here??? I found out about it to late to actually see him but I was surprised???

All the big Boxer Rescues and other such activity seem to be in Las Vegas, the bottom of the State from me. :(

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
How does one get into this type of sport/working boxer sort of thing? Do you have to have the right kind of boxer pup with certain traits? Reason I ask is cause I couldn't imagine Zuke doing some of these things. Just doesn't seem to be in his temperament.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How does one get into this type of sport/working boxer sort of thing? Do you have to have the right kind of boxer pup with certain traits? Reason I ask is cause I couldn't imagine Zuke doing some of these things. Just doesn't seem to be in his temperament.
Yes, a good bit has to do with genetics of the pups but even when the genetics are there in the lineage... it doesn't always mean it's a can't miss.
I have a GSD from working line and while she has a great nose and OB her bite just isn't that great.
On the other side of the coin.. I picked up my newest boxer pup at 6 month old (15 months old now). While he has some working lineage.. most working dog people wouldn't have given him a second look (even teh few that have working boxers).
But, he has a great combo.. he has a high drive, he loves to bite and fight.. be he still loves everybody...lol.
So I have a GSD training in scent/OP and a boxer training in personal protection.
I get some funny looks from other guy's and girls training there pups.. but that changes once the biting starts...lol

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Most likely your best easiest point of entry would be a local GSD Club???

That would be the simplest way to find out what's up with this???? Beyond that if it is something you'd like to do (Mondo Ring/IPO) stuff??? It would most likely be best to start off with a new puppy with pursing that venue as a goal???

bte is in a much better position to give a more informed opinion that I because I'm on the outside looking in. :)

But if you find one and go and mention Boxer??? Then most likely if they are kind you will hear "pig headed" stubborn difficult to work with and time consuming, like I ain't got that kind of time, if they are kind.

Most likely a lot of GSD folks are bent out of shape because the Military has turned to MAl's. :)

Mal's also carry those same traits, cept they are more likely if they get a harsh correction that feel was unwarranted, up-leash dog. The phrase Malagator comes to mind. :cry_baby:

But in Boxer land if the IPO thing was something that one were serious about?? Then a Euro Boxer would be the way to go, most likely???

The only K9 Boxers working on the continent pretty much all hail from here.:
Cliff vom Grand Kevin
owenowlsnest, has a son of Cliff. :)

I have never met or worked with a full Euro, but to me ... they seem like a "WL GSD" in a Boxer suit??? Most likely that is not fair nor accurate??? But with a Boxer my 100% all American girl with her extremely high "Goofy" content set my expectations of how a Boxer behaves, in regards to people at any rate???

Most likely that is neither fair nor accurate but I'm not looking for the "aloof" bit with a "Boxer." Did that with my first GSD and we did good but it was a bit of a surprise??? I will say that the Euro girls are all kinda cute looking however!

But sigh no IPO clubs near me??? And in any case "I'd" wanna go all American! I'm more about being different than "Winning" I suppose?? Because my next Boxer will be a girl! And as the song goes "girls just wanna have fun!" :)

Yeah I kinda tick them off on Germanshepardforum at times. Being that "Boxer Guy" carries a lot of baggage. :crazyeye:

·
Registered
5,073 Posts

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Yes, a good bit has to do with genetics of the pups but even when the genetics are there in the lineage... it doesn't always mean it's a can't miss.
I have a GSD from working line and while she has a great nose and OB her bite just isn't that great.
On the other side of the coin.. I picked up my newest boxer pup at 6 month old (15 months old now). While he has some working lineage.. most working dog people wouldn't have given him a second look (even teh few that have working boxers).
But, he has a great combo.. he has a high drive, he loves to bite and fight.. be he still loves everybody...lol.
So I have a GSD training in scent/OP and a boxer training in personal protection.
I get some funny looks from other guy's and girls training there pups.. but that changes once the biting starts...lol
So is he an American Line or a full Euro??? And how does he compare in the "stuff" that the GSD folks tend to think is necessary???

As I have found largely most GSD folks tend to have, not much use for any "Molosser" type dogs as a general rule??? For those that don't know, that would be any of these dogs.:

Molossers breeds (Molosser dogs, Molossers, Mastiff breeds)

Pig headed and hard to motivate would be the kindest derogatory comments. And picking out the Cane Corso in particular, as one that was trained as a PPD, and unlike GSD and Mals. Whereas they prefer green dogs (dogs without formal obedience training) that one CC that I know of was trained in formal obedience first for a year before he started doing bite work.

It was a GSD trainer, that worked with that dog. Dog was having uh ... people issues before she got to him ... worked out fine. But generally speaking GSD folks don't have much in the way of "patience" for the unproven???

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Thanks bte!

Very interesting stuff. Its funny cause Zuke has no prey drive whatsoever(except fallen leaves blowing in the street, lol) but when he gets into his rope toy I can literally lift him off the ground.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So is he an American Line or a full Euro??? And how does he compare in the "stuff" that the GSD folks tend to think is necessary???

As I have found largely most GSD folks tend to have, not much use for any "Molosser" type dogs as a general rule??? For those that don't know, that would be any of these dogs.:

Pig headed and hard to motivate would be the kindest derogatory comments. And picking out the Cane Corso in particular, as one that was trained as a PPD, and unlike GSD and Mals. Whereas they prefer green dogs (dogs without formal obedience training) that one CC that I know of was trained in formal obedience first for a year before he started doing bite work.

It was a GSD trainer, that worked with that dog. Dog was having uh ... people issues before she got to him ... worked out fine. But generally speaking GSD folks don't have much in the way of "patience" for the unproven???
His lineage is 50/50 Russian/American (but even the American side has a couple of Russian dotted in)

Thanks bte!

Very interesting stuff. Its funny cause Zuke has no prey drive whatsoever(except fallen leaves blowing in the street, lol) but when he gets into his rope toy I can literally lift him off the ground.
If he will grab the rope and hang on.. you may have something to work with.
Get a lunge whip and tie a rage to it and let him/her chase and see what you get. To start..make it move quick and let him/her catch it often.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
His lineage is 50/50 Russian/American (but even the American side has a couple of Russian dotted in)
Oh "Russian" I'll not quibble over details. To me if a part of the heritage is from over seas, it's a Euro or 50/50.

I never saw any of them in early 2003 in San Jose Ca. All the Boxers I saw looked like Struddell, smaller head and longer narrower muzzle?? When I moved to NV. I see more 50/50 bigger head but the same leaner bodies and tiny waist?? I've only had an opportunity to works with males, those far. And I have the males pretty eager to please.

I find that a bit disappointing personnel but I have helped to find them new homes, so there is that. :)

But how do the Boxers compare with the "Biddability" thing in comparison to GSD's??? I think that is what the GSD folks are babbling about???

Get a lunge whip and tie a rage to it and let him/her chase and see what you get. To start..make it move quick and let him/her catch it often.
That's a test??? LOL, oh well, I guess I have a long line of puppies/dogs with untapped potential??? I just "assumed" all dogs hung on for dear life to a tug toy??? A few times of round and round we go in the past. I had to sit them down easy and say "leave it." I just "assumed" all dogs did that???

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
So I just happened to have something similar to a lunge whip. Tied the rag on and dragged it slowly across the ground. He just looked at me like "What the hell are you doing?" lol. Soon as I lifted it slightly in the air he went nuts. Jumping, darting all around. Let him get it a few times. Never thought of it, but if anything else its a good easy workout for him that I could add to his other routine exercise.

·
Registered
312 Posts
BTE, Nice Dogs your Boxer is handsome great head, chest and forelegs good bone substance. Which is the tell of his Euro heritage.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
But how do the Boxers compare with the "Biddability" thing in comparison to GSD's??? I think that is what the GSD folks are babbling about???

That's a test??? LOL, oh well, I guess I have a long line of puppies/dogs with untapped potential??? I just "assumed" all dogs hung on for dear life to a tug toy??? A few times of round and round we go in the past. I had to sit them down easy and say "leave it." I just "assumed" all dogs did that???
Well, IMHO there are 2 different answers.. the first would be: there just isn't enough working boxer in the US for most sport trainers to evaluate. It would be the same thing if they only saw show GSD (and thats also why alot prefer mals)
The 2nd is boxers just mature later especially in body.
I went to a seminar last year that had one of Germany's top sport dog trainers.
Basically his opinion was working boxer don't have any problem doing the same work. The difference is GSD's and Mals physically mature earlier. Which means they are ready for the work sooner. And if you're selling dogs (which alot of trainers do) they can be sold as working dogs earlier.

So I just happened to have something similar to a lunge whip. Tied the rag on and dragged it slowly across the ground. He just looked at me like "What the hell are you doing?" lol. Soon as I lifted it slightly in the air he went nuts. Jumping, darting all around. Let him get it a few times. Never thought of it, but if anything else its a good easy workout for him that I could add to his other routine exercise.

Cool,So now when he grabs it let him walk with it in a mouth a bit... if he looks like he is going to drop it, yank it away really quick with the whip. and the game starts over! make him miss a 2-3 times then let him grab it.
So if you wanted to teach a "speak" or Bark command.. Get a harness and either someone to hold him with a leash (or back tie him). Move the rag around quick. so he is excited! then freeze for a few seconds. If he barks move the rag close enough for him to grab it. Then start the game over. He will get to the point where as soon as you stop it he will start barking.. All you have to do then is add the command.. it's a fun little game!

BTE, Nice Dogs your Boxer is handsome great head, chest and forelegs good bone substance. Which is the tell of his Euro heritage.
Thanks, he is a very lean 62 pounds right now, he should fill out to a trim 75-80'ish pounds once he is done growing.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Cool,So now when he grabs it let him walk with it in a mouth a bit... if he looks like he is going to drop it, yank it away really quick with the whip. and the game starts over! make him miss a 2-3 times then let him grab it.
So if you wanted to teach a "speak" or Bark command.. Get a harness and either someone to hold him with a leash (or back tie him). Move the rag around quick. so he is excited! then freeze for a few seconds. If he barks move the rag close enough for him to grab it. Then start the game over. He will get to the point where as soon as you stop it he will start barking.. All you have to do then is add the command.. it's a fun little game!
Thanks for all the info bte!
That could be useful, bark on command. Right now he only growls at night if he hears a noise, and barks twice if someone comes to the door. He's not a "talker" from other boxers I have met. I actually prefer it. He is more of a stare at other dogs through the window with the ears up and tail high and doesn't make a sound. Does the same outside. Never heard him bark at another dog, even the ones he plays with.

I forgot he will make a racket if he knocks his favorite toy under a couch or bed. lol

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
LOL ... that is a lot of effort to just to teach speak??? Still it does speak to the "three times longer to train a Boxer" thing.

I always admire the APBT/Boxer mixes. Brillant dogs truly the best of both worlds. I taught my first APBT/Boxer mix to speak in less than five minutes using treats and a flapping hand motion, it took next to no effort, piece of cake! :)

And then came Struddell, my second PB Boxer and uh things were different??? She did a lot of things extremely well but for whatever reason?? With her, speak on command was a line in the sand! Uh ... NO!! The hand thing and treats were a waste of time! The best I could get was a "huff and she would blow her flews! That was it, and it never changed, she did just about everything else with gusto but the command for "Speak" always got this face.:

I'm not gonna, as it were. :chair:

But hey ... now I know, thanks for the heads up. :)

1 - 20 of 91 Posts