Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
I would not put a puppy on a treadmill there is a good chance the puppy will be scared and could be frightened of being forced to walk on this noisy thing. Its far better to put him or her on a leash and go out and walk if he has all his shots done now. Its a great bonding experience for you and the dog. I think treadmills are dangerous for dogs in general and if you put him on too long you risk injuring his still developing joints so I would strongly advise no

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I'd probably skip it for now.

I took my guy for bike rides when he was 6 months old. Granted they were very short, but it was more about him getting used to different things. Harnessess, traffic, stop signs, the bike, where to stay next to me. You just have to be really careful with what you do with a pup. For me most of the things I exposed him to at that young were for confidence and training.

They get plenty of exercise on their own just being puppies. For me the 1st year was more about training and confidence building

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Yep not really the best of idea's for exercise?? A puppy/dog need's to be 15 to 18 month's before it's bones, and joint's are ready for any strenuous exercise. Bones and joint's need to fully mature first.

Now that said ... he could be "introduced to it" now with the right approach. But unless you've already been taking the opportunity to introduce him to as many type's of stimulus that you can .. uh NO Dog Parks! Then yes just the sound of the thing could freak him out!

But hey if he has no issue's with Vacuum Cleaner's?? Then he'd be good to go as far as introduction to the machine goes. :)

At any rate, when ever you decide to introduce him to the machine. You should start now "conditioning him to the sound." Just turn the thing on and have him in the same room with you and it. And just ignore it ... let it be background noise, for a couple of week's! And after that you can start to try luring him onto the thing with treat's.

I'd have it off at first just to get him use to stepping unto it. And eventually turn it on at it's slowest speed to see it he will get on it, still luring with treat's?? If that work's ... then give him a minute or two on it "eventually," and call it quits!

Other than that, yeah he is to young right now for using it for real as it were. And aside from that. The only other potential danger is using a leash to keep/force him to stay on it!

Cesar Millan got sued, when someone's leashed Dog was strangled by a treadmill!! I don't know the outcome of the lawsuit or the circumstances entirely, but the Dog was leashed to the treadmill, something went wrong and the dog was trapped and strangled to death!

So for me, if I have to use a leash to "keep" a dog on a Treadmill?? I'd not use one. And full disclosure ... I have never Tread Mill, trained a dog?? So this is all theory! But it is how I would approach it. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts