Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again (newbie questions!!lol) So I live in a townhome and I want to train her with that whole "invincible line" where if the front door is open she doesnt run off or if the gargae door is open and lets say we are outside washing a car etc that she doesnt go beyond that garage door. I have heard of E-collars but kinda iffy on them. Whats the best way to train her for this and if I do go the E-collar route when is the best age to start her on it. She is 12wks old currently. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
28 Posts
We use am e collar for Grace and its a lifesaver! Usually only have to "beep" and she comes running.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Hi again (newbie questions!!lol) So I live in a townhome and I want to train her with that whole "invincible line" where if the front door is open she doesnt run off or if the gargae door is open and lets say we are outside washing a car etc that she doesnt go beyond that garage door. I have heard of E-collars but kinda iffy on them. Whats the best way to train her for this and if I do go the E-collar route when is the best age to start her on it. She is 12wks old currently. Thanks for your help
An E-Collar is not a "magical eog training device." It does not train your dog "you do." You'd still have to train your dog to "understand what the E-Collar means?? And once he understands a "properly trained " command, you'd correct him with an E-Collar for non compliance.

In any case "few" would train a puppy that young with a E-Collar??? Although as I am want to say ... there is always that guy! I know of only one owner that used what would be considered advanced tools on a very young puppy and most likely he introduced them at 16 weeks?? And that would be "Smokie and the Bandit. And he posted his work with his puppy. :)

I did let him know that I was highly impressed with what he'd achieved but I doubt many newbies would be able to do the same with those tools on such a young puppy as successfully as he did?? He does not seem to post much?? But he is still sorta active here. If you want to go the E-Collar Route on a young puppy ... he'd be your guy.

That said E-Collaris not my thing so I'll do what I do what I do. And take note if you do view Matt's clip ... that much like the Pro's and myself he trains "Place!" That alone would be the cure for cutting off a lot of potential issues at the knee ... just saying. :)

That said the door thing in "Threshold Training" you'd use a leash and don't allow the "puppy" to progress out a threshold until you say "OK." That would be the release word.

And the Garage thing ... well best advice is ... right now ... don't do that! Your puppy is not trained ... yet! Get the threshold with door ways down first and then ... the Garage will be "No Big Deal." That will then be "Boundary Training." I stumbled unto it by "accident" I called it "On the Lawn." I did it with all my dogs but only my GSD ... made me aware that it was an actual command??? Piece of cake to actually train but "proofing" it is another story!

But if you train "Place" you'd not have to worry about it. The dog/puppy would have a "Place" and that is where they would remain until released. I understand ... that's not exactly what you want but "Baby Steps" as it were. Right now if you are doing the Car Washing thing with your pup in the garage and she bolts after ... "whatever???" What are you gonna do??? Don't put your puppy in a situation where she is allowed to make poor choices! It might cost them their lives!!!

Thresholds first and also work on "Place" and then we can move onto the staying in the Garage thing with the puppy free to move about ... in there!

That said ... "threshold training" first. I'd use a Slip Lead Leash not a freaking Harness but ... whatever, the essence of threshold training is here.:

And pretty much most of your "puppy questions" can be answered by "Bethany." :

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL39rA__veYgR4EvJoPQhwRlxZmW5H3IEm

I don't know that she does the "Boundary Training" thing ... maybe that's just me?? But she does have clips on training "Puppies" in "Place." Got more but this should be a good start ... welcome aboard. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input. I think I will just train without the e-collar. I already have her sitting with positive reinforcement and treats. So I will stick to that. Thanks agsin

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
We have not used e collar. Our boy will not run out door until we give command thats its ok. From day 1 he was told to wait at door until we first went out then we allowed him out. It was very easy to teach. Though I never leave open doors while working outside unless the dog is secured somewhere else in the house. It only takes a second for a dog to lose his thought and go after something he may see. I try to stay responsible at all times to protect my dog. Good luck sounds like you are already on your way.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
From day 1 he was told to wait at door until we first went out then we allowed him out. It was very easy to teach.
Exactly!

Many people are so used to grabbing a leash and letting the dog out before themselves. From day 1 Zuke knew that door is a stop sign, and the only way he gets through it is with an "ok". Never had any issue with him trying to get through the door.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I just wanted to add to this and state that you can use an e-collar to train a puppy. The e-collar is used as a guide, like pressure, just to let the pup know that you are giving it a command and waiting for it to comply. You should use a really low level, but one that it feels, for initial training. You still have to train your pup and show it what you want it to do, but e-collars help give both the owner and the dog confidence. You should only use higher levels on the dog when you are in the correction phase of your training - and even then you don't have to go higher than what your dog responds to. A lot of people are worried about using an e-collar, but when used properly, they are excellent training tools. Also, many dogs learn to love the collar as it often means they are getting to go outside, or walk off leash, or just know that they get to relax (as in the "place" command). There are a lot of free videos online about how to introduce e-collars. I'd recommend E-Collar Technologies Mini-Educator as a good quality collar. :) Hope that helps!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts