Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is related to our cocker, but I am not registered yet on any cocker forums! He is pretty housebroken, he rings the bell or his leash when he needs to go out and is pretty patient in waiting...Last week I noticed that he was just sort of sprinkling pee as he was passing by my father. My father had only gotten there a bit before and Brady was still a little excited about his arrivel so I chalked it up to a  little submissive peeing (although this hasn't been a problem with him since we rescued him). Well, the other night he was playing with Abby for a bit and they tired each other out and both laid down. After a bit he woke up and went looking for a toy (his leash was right there for ringing if he needed to go out). As he walked, like he didn't even know he was doing it, he was sprinkling. Hmmm...UTI? Then yesterday I got home, he's only had one peeing incident inside since we brought him home, and as I was putting him on his leash right by the door, he peed! This isn't like him at all.  I didn't notice  for a moment because he pees in his almost regular standing position and by the time I noticed, I thought he had finished.  Then he goes outside and has a pretty full pee again!

So I called the vet and they said bring a sample. My questions...has anyone had this experience and is this similar to symptoms for a UTI in dogs? Despite my own bi-monthly UTI's, I have never had a dog with a UTI. Next, how exactly do I get a sample? Hahha! He is a loner for these activities.  While Abby must be within 3 feet of me to do anything, Brady takes off down to the bottom of his runner 200 feet away before he does anything.  If we are down there for some reason, he goes back up the hill! I suppose when he's desparate (1st thing in the morning) if we put him on a short leash, between the two of us we can pull it off, but any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
That does sound like he has a UTI. When i worked at the vet clinic and we needed someone to bring a sample the advice that we gave them (this is a little gross in my opinion, but it seemed to work) was to keep the dog on a short leash so that you are able to catch the pee, but get a ladle (like what you use to dish out soups and such) and keep it close. When the dog starts to pee the you can catch some pee in the ladle and then dump it into a container. you arent invading there space too much since you have a longer reach with the handle and such, and it helps that you arent squatting down next to them. I personally never had to do this with my own dogs, but the clients we had said it made things easier for them. hope this helps, good luck and and please keep us informed on how brady is doing!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response...I am going to try to "catch" it tomorrow am so I can run it right over to the vet. He seemed ok last night (and they played for a couple hours) although my father noted that he sprinkled some when he went over to take them out in the afternon (thank goodness for willing fathers)!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
If this tests negative for UTI I would guess it might be submissive urination.  Keep us posted.

Nano

1 - 4 of 4 Posts