Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I’m new to this forum, and have a question about vaccines. I’m about to take my 10 week old healthy puppy for her second booster (first was done by breeder) and I am wondering if there is a puppy vaccine protocol that is recommended. I’m wary of over vaccinating. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Really don't know much about it, I just trusted my vet. I know he asked me different questions about where and what I plan to do with my dog and he didn't give some of the optional vaccines.

I found this at the akc website though.

Puppy’s AgeRecommended VaccinationsOptional Vaccinations
6 — 8 weeksDistemper, parvovirusBordetella
10 — 12 weeksDHPP (vaccines for distemper, adenovirus [hepatitis], parainfluenza, and parvovirus)Influenza, Leptospirosis, Bordetella, Lyme disease per lifestyle as recommended by veterinarian
16 — 18 weeksDHPP, rabiesInfluenza, Lyme disease, Leptospirosis, Bordetella per lifestyle
12 — 16 monthsDHPP, rabiesCoronavirus, Leptospirosis, Bordetella, Lyme disease
Every 1 — 2 yearsDHPPInfluenza, Coronavirus, Leptospirosis, Bordetella, Lyme disease per lifestyle
Every 1 — 3 yearsRabies (as required by law)none

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
By and large for the first "three year's??" It's best to just do it! After that it gets kinda tricky?? Rabies you have to do. The rest it depends on who you trust???

Titer testing to test for immunity, is the only way to know for sure?? But doing that cost way more then just getting the shot. So there is that.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Shots are so important to puppies so they don't contract some really terrible avoidable diseases. If you live in a county that requires dog tags they will not let you get them without a rabies shot my county does not accept titer tests. I have seen a dog with distemper its not nice and parvo can kill you dog so they are important. As a dog ages some Vets are saying that yearly vaccines are not necessary anymore but if you plan to board your dog you won't be able to do it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you plan to use boarding, daycare, or training classes in the future, many of them require proof of vaccines for distemper, parvovirus, rabies, and bordetella. Something to consider.

Enjoy your puppy!!!!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Watch out for the Lepto vaccine it can cause reactions in boxers I don't get it.
That one is useful for dog's that frequently encounter ..." slow moving or standing, urine contaminated water." And thje dog is likely to drink it???

Hunting Dog's ie Lab's and Retriever's (that actually do that stuff??) And Search and Rescue Dog's, it's a must have cuz those guy's go everywhere. LE K9's it's a maybe?? A lot of K9's aren't that great at differentiating between a victim and a Prep?? They typical only do S&R with there K9's (LE) ... if they are the last resort, just saying. :)

And regular folk's, who go where there dog's might encounter "contaminated water and drink it??" Should consider it, if it's something there dog's could encounter regularly (Slow moving or standing water)??

But me nope, I don't get it for my dog's either. Standing Water, or slowing moving water, is not really a problem we have in, the "High Desert of NV." That, flea's or mosquitoes and I have heard of "thing's," called "Porky-Pine's??" And I understand those thing's can be pretty bad new's for Dog's?? But those usually, hang out in "Forest," ... which are full of thing's called "Tree's??" :)

I get to skip lot's of stuff but we do have Rattler's and Coyote's and Wild Horse's ... although your an owner really has to be a "total tool," to have there dog tick off a Wild Mustang?? But people do stuff??

·
Registered
621 Posts
Dogs can encounter Lepto in wooded areas and farm fields and anywhere rodents are present which is pretty much everywhere. I don't let my dogs drink any untreated water of any kind. No standing water or puddles. The way I was told is there are many types of Lepto but the shot only covers like 3 varieties so that plus Boxers sometimes have a reaction to the shot I just don't get it. One of my past boxers got the shot and broke out in hives all over her body and a friends Boxer had the same thing happen.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I just trust my vet, he stays pretty much on top of things and knows our area well as he also does farm calls.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Look up Jean Dodds protocol. Distemper and parvo are vital. Separate the rabies vaccine by at least 3 weeks (do not give at the same time as other vaccines) and wait as long as legally possible to give it. If you choose to do other vaccines (lepto, Lyme, bordetella, etc), also separates those from other vaccines. After a year of age, I run titers for distemper and parvo. I’ve had one dog that needed another distemper vaccine as an adult. My others have remained protected forever from their puppy vaccines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts