Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to ask opinions on what different owners do for vaccinating their boxers? I have always been a once-a-year kind of dog owner where i have my vet do an exam and then they get their series of shots. But i'm interested in what others do as I am growing more weary of vaccines or over-vaccinating. It began when I took Zoe to Petsmart Saturday to get her nails trimmed and they said that her rabies vaccine had expired last week so they denied her.

So Zoe is 8 now and i'm tempted to get her a rabies shot only (to keep her legal) and skip everything else. Does anybody on here do that? Are there any other shots that you get annually and would not do without? Zoe is an inside dog, only mingles with our other dog, and we have a fenced yard. Heck she's scared of her own shadow. Does she really need all of the other shots?

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Rabies Vaccines are pretty much mandatory everywhere?? And that one is relatively safe, bad reactions to the Rabies Vaccine are extremely rare, although it can happen and I know of one such case ... it caused "Hair Loss" at the site of the injection for one Chi that I know of, I can't recall any other symptoms however??

Search and Rescue Dogs and most likely "all" working dogs have to have annual vaccines to stay in there jobs? And that makes sense as those dogs are likely to be exposed to ... "whatever??" But beyond that ... there is strong evidence to suggest that after three to five years of annual vacancies, the dogs no longer need them??

Titer test can "confirm" immunity, but doing that is usually more expensive then getting the shot and most vets can't/don't "Titer Test."

With puppys you have no choice but to get them vaccinated if one does not ... one might not have a dog to worry about??? But after three to five years of that crap?? Most likely it is time to stop?? Aside from Boarding them if you have to leave them, at a kennel ... they should be good for "life" in most cases??

Lots of info on this topic online. I lost track of one of one of the bigger sites ...but here is one.:
https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2010/03/31/high-cost-of-pet-vaccinations.aspx

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I too have always taken my dogs 1x a year for their vaccines. Rabies is mandatory and I would not chance not having it done on time. The rest can be titered to see if they are necessary. I too have been reading that we have been over vaccinating. I'll probably just keep going with my vets recommendations.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I too have always taken my dogs 1x a year for their vaccines. Rabies is mandatory and I would not chance not having it done on time. The rest can be titered to see if they are necessary. I too have been reading that we have been over vaccinating. I'll probably just keep going with my vets recommendations.
Aww well, unless ones vet is very progress, they will recommend annual vaccines??

We are the care givers for our dogs so it's up to us to do what we deem is best for them. :)

Still even following standard accepted practices ... aside from titer testing, there are no guarantees?? We lost a GSD at our local Dog Park to Parvo a year ago. He was one year old and did have his "Parvo Shot." But it did not take?? And the only way the owner would have know his dog was not immune was by "titer testing him." Who does that??

The dog went to the Dog Park the dog caught the virus there and the "Dog died." It should not have happened but it did. :(

Crap happens ... I'm not a "Dog Park" in anycase.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Aww well, unless ones vet is very progress, they will recommend annual vaccines??

Yep As I said The rest can be titered to see if they are necessary. My vet is pretty progressive. (guess I wasn't clear) We no longer vaccinate my 16 year old chihuahua except for rabies. He does a titer not he rest, except for the puppy who will get one more set before he will titer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It makes me sick to think of all the problems I caused my previous dogs, plus all the money I wasted, on excess vaccines, parasite preventatives/treatments and other medications, treatments and chemicals. Worse than any of that, I currently have a dog dying of kidney failure due to one of these products (Bravecto) most vets push on all their customers.

I follow a lot of the advice from Dr. Karen Becker. An article of hers is linked above by chip18 and here's another:

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/10/27/new-canine-vaccination-guidelines.aspx

I do as she advises, only vaccinate my dogs for the three core diseases distemper, parvo and adenovirus. I'd prefer to only do them twice, at 9-10 weeks and 15-16 weeks, but since nearly every breeder vaccinates at least once before they go to their new homes usually at 7-8 weeks, that's too early to then wait another couple of months in case the first one was done too early and overridden by the mother's antibodies, so I usually end up giving two doses of each of the three cores, plus the dose from the breeder so three total, then I do rabies around 6 months, titer them sometime before a year of age and as long as the titer shows they are immunized they never get another vaccination. I also only ever give one vaccination at a time, never a combination vaccine or separate vaccines within a week of each other, more often two weeks between at least.

Were early socialization including taking young puppies everywhere not so important and I not so heavily involved in puppy training classes I'd keep my puppies mostly at home and hold off longer on their first vaccinations.

I'm really interested in this method of preventing parvo and distemper without vaccination, am going to look into it a lot more and possibly try it:

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/prevent-parvo-and-distemper-without-vaccination/

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I follow a lot of the advice from Dr. Karen Becker. An article of hers is linked above by chip18 and here's another:
Well I say a lot of "stuff" but to be clear if one has a "puppy" straight up flat out ... if one has a "puppy" Parvo and Distemper are no brainers! Now if they are necessary after the three to four mark is another topic?? But mess those up in the beginning and one might not have a "dog" to worry about???

I like also to "keep it real" as it were. And no one advocates, not vaccinating puppies??? Now annual vaccines beyond the 4 to 5 year mark .. .is subject to debate?? But a puppy in the one year to three range ... there is nothing to thing about ... get the shots, just saying. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts