Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today is the day that Vega is getting Speutered. I had no idea there were so many friggin options for spaying. Do we want blood work done? Do we want Laser surgery instead of normal Spaying procedures?

I did request that ACE not be used. I assume this was correct?  The vet tech asked why, I informed her it was because of her snubby nose. Correct?

So please keep paws, fingers and what ever else you can cross for my lil sweetie.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Okay I was impressed that your vet does laser surgery....So many are going to that now....The benefit is suppose to be less bleeding and a shorter time under anesthesia.  I would think to say yes to it, but I would want to know how long they have been using laser surgery...I mean if its been a while that is great, but if they just got the machine a week ago well.....Regardless the old fashion way is just fine too!
Good job on not using ACE....
Hope things go great I am sure they will...is she coming home tonight or tomorrow.

·
Registered
578 Posts
What is ACE exactly? Fredo has one more month until he can be neutered, so I want to know everything I can before the big day.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes Dr. B has been doing Laser procedures for sometime now. I wanted to go ahead with it but we declined. I did get the blood work and such and did firmly request no ACE and watched her write it down on the chart. She will be ready to come home this afternoon at 1530 MST.  I can't wait to take her home.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
FREDOSMOM~~

ACE=Acepromizine...

It is an pain med/anesthetic (correct me if I'm wrong, but my vet said it's used for both or something to that effect) that tends to slow the heart rate of Boxer's to the point of death.  It is generally lathal to Boxers.  We have a stickey on the forum about it or you can google it for more info.  You shouldn't ask your vet not to use it.  You should tell your vet that if they use it you will sue them for endangering the life of your Boxer (I kid, I kid...well kinda...I'm just like that).

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[quote="lillyzmomma\";p=\"39138":wct99i2e]FREDOSMOM~~

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Good luck Vega! I hope you have a speedy recovery!  :)

Regarding the ACE.....Acepromazine is a tranquilizer that vets use as a preanesthetic agent. In Boxers it tends to cause a problem called first degree heart block, a potentially serious arrhythmia of the heart. It also causes a profound hypotension (severe lowering of the blood pressure) in many Boxers that are given the drug.

Here is the full article on ACE:

http://www.flbr.org/AceWarning.htm

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She is home and sleeping on her new bed we picked up for her. She was very woozie when we got her but the vet said she was one of the sweetest dogs he's ever had to work with, which says a lot about her character. they didn't give her the stitches that dissolve so I have to go back in ten to fourteen days for removal. he said because she was so young and could be rambunctious that he didn't want to take any chances. he did not use ACE and said he wasn't planning on using it so that is good to hear. Her blood work cam back absolutely fantastic and she is a completely healthy puppy.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I'm so glad everything went smoothly. I'm sure she'll sleep for hours now.  I-) Great to hear she is completely healthy, and what a good little girl for being so sweet for the vet.

You mentioned she was quite young, and forgive me if you've said how old she was before..but exactly how old is she? I'm just curious because we may have to spay Sadie younger than normal, so I'm curious to know how old Vega is...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts