Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Agreed! Dogs are carnivores! You will be doing your dog a lot of harm feeding him a vegetarian diet.

May I ask why are you asking for vegetarian recipes?

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Welcome to the forum mridulla but I cannot recommend a vegetarian diet for your boxer. They are carnivores and require a meat based diet. Not to sound rude but why would you even consider this?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I see your from India.. Is it common for dogs to be put on a vegetarian diet, is finding meat based kibble not accessible? Or is this just your views/beliefs/religion ?

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
This might be helpful. https://www.facebook.com/balanceit

Their AutobalancerEZ can generate vegetarian recipes for dogs based on lentils and tofu. I used a formulated diet using BalanceIT years ago for a diet that had very restricted fat, and a novel protein. My dog did extremely well.
I would not suggest feeding a dog a vegetarian diet unless they have some underlying disease or syndrome that would prevent or give them difficulty in digesting animal protein.

Dogs are carnivores. Just because people chose to be vegetarian or are vegetarian by religion does not mean they should impose this on their pets. It's not right and it isn't healthy for them.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
The jury is out on whether dogs are obligate carnivores. I found articles and research that argue this and actually contradict themselves! I don't have a strong opinion on this because I think a dog fed a very well balanced vegetarian diet may be better off than feeding a meat-based, but cruddy, kibble. We don't know the reasons why the OP would like to feed vegetarian - perhaps there is a health issue. So until they post I would ask that you read this:
https://www.thedodo.com/q-can-my-dog-go-vegetarian-or--402071416.html

·
Registered
6,618 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Mridulla, here is a link so your vet can contact nutritional services at UC Davis Veterinary School. Nutrition Support Service | UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine - Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital

The supplement, BalanceIt, has amino acids that come from plants. If you are looking for a diet specific to your Boxer, it is well worth the effort to have a specific diet formulated. They are the experts in nutrition, and could determine what the nutritional needs are based on age, activity level, neuter status, and sex.

If you'd feel comfortable about feeding fish that's a protein they could work into the diet.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was refraining from commenting on here to allow the more knowledgeable people chime in but now I can say I'm happy to see you are reconsidering. I do not believe a dog should be fed a vegetarian diet. That article that explained dogs' teeth made it VERY clear to me that dogs are intended to consume meat

·
Registered
15 Posts
From what I've read, there's nothing wrong with dogs eating certain non-harmful types of veg, but personally I don't think it should be a mainstay of their diet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't think it's right to deprive a carnivore/omnivore from meat. Dogs require meat. If you are a vegetarian and don't want to feed it meat you shouldn't own a carnivore.

BUT there are health reasons why a dog may require a vegetarian diet. If that is the case there are two methods that are "safe"...here in Alberta Canada... BalanceIt and Hilary's Complete and Balanced. I would follow those 100% to the recipe because if not your dog will end up with issues.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everybody and I am sorry for not responding all these days...appreciate your suggestions....I agree dogs aren't vegetarians and require meat in their diet...but, I am a vegetarian...we feed him kibble which has meat in it...he's quite healthy and happy...but I was looking for some vegetarian recipes that I can cook for him just for a change once in a while....thanks again for your response....

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would not suggest feeding a dog a vegetarian diet unless they have some underlying disease or syndrome that would prevent or give them difficulty in digesting animal protein.

Dogs are carnivores. Just because people chose to be vegetarian or are vegetarian by religion does not mean they should impose this on their pets. It's not right and it isn't healthy for them.
Agreed

But if you have to and want to make it, also check out "Hilary's complete and balanced" or "BalanceIt". I knew a woman who's dog was allergic to almost everything and the only diet it thrived on was a vegetarian one from Natural Balance. Her dog had big issues and it was literally the only food he could eat. Here's a link.

Vegetarian Dry Dog Formula | Natural Balance Pet Foods

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi...can any of you suggest a good vegetarian recipe for my dukey...
I used to think like the others…why in the world would anyone feed their dog a vegetarian diet? I’ve been through it with my boxer. She has so many digestive issues and has lost so much weight. Ultrasounds show nothing, vet can’t figure out why she moans in pain all day. I’ve tried everything. Fancy diets, making her food, low fat diets, giving her meat protein she has never had before like rabbit, etc. What has been working for her the best and allowing her to gain weight back and not constantly crying in pain is a vegetarian diet! Her gut is inflamed and needs time to rest and we believe animal protein is the reason why. Never in a million years would I think I’d be feeding my old girl vegetarian but it is working. So try not to pass judgement when someone asks a question like this. You never know what may be going on.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I'd feel really comfortable feeding a vegetarian diet if it was formulated specifically for my dog by a board-certified vet nutritionist. We fed a formulated diet, using fish, that used the BalanceIt vitamin, mineral and amino acid supplement, and it was wonderful there were no more issues. Our Internist said that some sensitive dogs are reactive to preservatives in manufactured dog food. The BalanceIt supplement is human-grade, and Vegan.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts