Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I couldn't agree more. The level of judgement and ignorance in this forum is staggering. I have a super healthy 2 year old boxer who has been vegetarian like us since she was 8 weeks old. Zero health issues, beautiful skin and extremely lean and fit. So much so, that her 4 out of 7 in her litter have been moved onto this diet as the breeder got in touch to say her brothers and sisters have been having health issues on a meat based diet.

You can't compare wild dogs from pre-historic times to the domestic animals they are today. They have evolved, as have their bodies and their overall function. Dogs ARE Omnivores.

I find it infuriating that people on this forum have the audacity to judge and point fingers, when many are probably feeding their boxers meat kibble which is the worst cuts of meat that you probably pay £15 for 15kg! How that is better than a super nutritious balanced plant based diet is beyond me.

I'm not one to judge others on what they do or don't do but if i was, the question i'd ask is - HOW is it that you can own a love a pet so much, but be happy that their (and your!) existence is determined by the industrial slaughter, pain and suffering of other animals? hypocrisy at its bloody finest.

I'm not looking for a response or a debate but just thought i'd respond to the drivel that has been written on this forum.

Photo of Nellie attached for those interested in what a veggie boxer looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Peas and lentils are one of the suspected cause of DCM in dogs in fact Vets are warning not to purchase any food with those in the top 10 ingredients. i lost two dogs to DCM both were eating high lentil content dog food they were both dead from DCM in 6 months enough proof for me.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
You can't compare wild dogs from pre-historic times to the domestic animals they are today. They have evolved, as have their bodies and their overall function. Dogs ARE Omnivores.
This is simply not true. They are facultative carnivores. Meaning primarily meat eaters but can survive on plants if need be. Everything about a dog, from its teeth, saliva, digestive track, enzymes, metabolism and dna points to primarily carnivore. While they are able to break down and extract certain amino acids and vitamins from plants their bodies are not designed for it like an omnivore.

Personally I don't care what people feed their dogs, but dogs are not omnivores. I'm glad your dog is doing well on whatever you decide to feed her.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts