Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
I agree with the psycho, haha. Put some chopped carrots and a lamb leg in front of your dog and let him decide. My dog would eat both too, but which does he crave and live for? Easy.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I agree with the psycho, haha. Put some chopped carrots and a lamb leg in front of your dog and let him decide. My dog would eat both too, but which does he crave and live for? Easy.
Right, that's how I always explained the raw food diet to people... If all the humans disappeared off the face of the Earth, would your dog eat from the garden or be out there hunting squirrels, etc?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think a vegetarian diet is totally unacceptable for dogs, so I feed my pit bull with meat and special nutrition for dogs, nevertheless, I find this diet the most appropriate one for humans and follow it, so I would be glad to see some really good vegetarian recipes for people!

·
Registered
212 Posts
My youngest tries to convince the dogs to go vegetarian (we are not against symbiotic relationships such as humanely raised chickens providing us eggs, and humanely raised cows or goats providing us milk for drinking, butter, cheese, etc.) but even giving them milk and eggs, the episodes of raiding the trash for meat wrappers from the omnivores goes up dramatically.

Dogs crave meat. Their intestinal system is designed more for processing meat than veggies.

That said, the ever popular (and dangerous) soy seems to be a big thing among vegans insistent on converting their dogs to a vegan diets.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think it is irresponsible for us humans to impose vegetarian/ vegan diet on our primarily carnivorous pets. It goes against their natural physiological needs.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Only comment I have is that you can find many people on a vegen diet that love their dogs and educate themselves on proper dog diets that feed their dogs a raw diet. They would never feed their beloved pet a diet that is unhealthy for them.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I also have to agree that a dog is a meat eater , personally I don't believe they are 100% carnivore but they are close to it.

But, if you insist then it is important to do this in a complete and balanced way.

Hilary's Complete and Balanced is by Hilary Watson, a pet nutritionist. She wrote a cookbook and she has vegetarian diets in there. You have to follow it precisely and use her supplements in order to not deprive your dog from what it needs to live a healthy and humane life. I used this cookbook for the meat versions of home cooked food and my dog just loves loves loves the recipes. If you are in Canada you can order this through your veterinarian. If you are in the USA you can buy this on her website.

Please, follow this recipe. I fear your dog could completely loose out on the quality of life if you don't do this with a trained expert's guidance.

·
Registered
834 Posts
i "ADD" a dehydrated all vegetable mix to Kona's raw food, Its called preference by the honest kitchen. The recommend adding it to a meat source…not used alone

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
https://secure.balanceit.com/tools/recipegenerator/index.php

There are recipes that use Lentils as the protein for dogs with food reactions. An example would be Oatmeal and Lentils. The BalanceIt vitamin, mineral and amino acid powder fills in what's not there with meat. There are recipes with egg, and cottage cheese.

I used this supplement for a dog with pancreatitis and IBD. It worked really well, and he grew the most beautiful coat that didn't shed. If you really wanted to feed vegetarian I think this would make it possible.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
https://secure.balanceit.com/tools/recipegenerator/index.php

There are recipes that use Lentils ...

If you really wanted to feed vegetarian I think this would make it possible.
As would the Hilary's Complete and Balanced

I know someone who's dog is allergic to every kind of meat. crazy right?

She actually feeds a natural balance vegetarian diet. I would recommend the Hilary's over that though as you get way way more nutrition out of real veggies and lentils and beans and chickpeas etc

If you are doing this as a choice and your dog is not allergic to anything... Well a dog is a natural meat eater... It would be like owning a lion and trying to make it graze

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Have you used the Hilary's Isle? My only issue here is that she is not a board-certified nutritionist. It just says that she took training in nutrition on a PhD level.

This may be fine, but if you're dealing with a dog with specific health conditions that need a specific diet you need a vet's credentials, and a couple years of nutrition classes under your belt. I think it's a two year residency for vets to get certified in nutrition.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Have you used the Hilary's Isle? My only issue here is that she is not a board-certified nutritionist. It just says that she took training in nutrition on a PhD level.

This may be fine, but if you're dealing with a dog with specific health conditions that need a specific diet you need a vet's credentials, and a couple years of nutrition classes under your belt. I think it's a two year residency for vets to get certified in nutrition.
Yes I have used this, I used the meat recipes for over half a year

She is actually certified, and she works with vets to create specific recipes for dogs with special needs.

http://www.completeandbalanced.com/aboutus.html

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yes I have used this, I used the meat recipes for over half a year

She is actually certified, and she works with vets to create specific recipes for dogs with special needs.

http://www.completeandbalanced.com/aboutus.html

*** add, she works with vets to make specific diets for specific dogs with special needs, ex if your dog has special medical problems that require specific ingredients she works together with vets to make this

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
*** add, she works with vets to make specific diets for specific dogs with special needs, ex if your dog has special medical problems that require specific ingredients she works together with vets to make this

do you know what she charges for making a specific food? Poor Buster eats like crap esp compared to my girlys of course he has a weird protein allergy so it is VERY hard to find what doesn't break him out he is mostly vegan by necessity not choice I would LOVE to find a better diet that works for him and is more balanced

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
do you know what she charges for making a specific food? Poor Buster eats like crap esp compared to my girlys of course he has a weird protein allergy so it is VERY hard to find what doesn't break him out he is mostly vegan by necessity not choice I would LOVE to find a better diet that works for him and is more balanced
I'm not sure what the price is for a specific diet. I don't know how it works in the US but if you are in Canada you would have to request this through your vet as she doesn't work directly with the public. You can phone and ask, I called once to find out where to buy safflower oil and it was actually her herself who answered! I'm not sure if your dog is sensitive or not, I know some of her recipes didn't work for my girl, but some were great! And the supplements are $80 for the biggest jar and I found that would last me about 2 months (about $1.30 a day).

I would look into it, like all food it may not be for your dog but if it is, it's sure is one if the healthiest ways to feed :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts