Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our vet has suggested that we due an elimination diet due to allergies. We think she might be allergic to dairy products. I have given her yogurt and cottage cheese mixed in with her food daily since she was a puppy so this is going to be hard. She can have veggies but the only one we found so far that she likes is broccoli. I've read on a few websites that they shouldn't be fed this daily and then I've read that it's okay to give it to them daily. I'm beyond confused now! I steamed up some broccoli tonight to mix in with her food and she loved it but now I'm concerned. Anyone know if this is safe or not ? Just trying to find a veggie she likes and have it be okay to mix in with her food.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I feed Lilly steamed veggies all the time.  Its just a matter of finding what they like.  Lilly hates cooked carrots, but will eat them raw, so I julianne (sp) them for her and add them raw to the steamed veggies I give in her meal.  That is the only thing I have found that she doesn't like.  My problem is that Lilly loves raw eggs in her food.  I don't feed it to her very often, but my hubby will feed it that way (even if he has to sneak it).  Ocassionally is fine, but not all the time.

Experiment with her.  Just remember that the same kinds of things that can give us gas can give them NARLY GAS.  That is the only drawback I have found.  Give them great nutrition...give them gas!!!   LOL!!!

Good luck!!!

BTW---Newcastle is a breeder and a fountain of information.... You should hit her up with the same question.  I'm sure she'd have some great advice for you.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
If I remember correctly the brocoli gives them gas, that's why it's not recomended..Carrots, green beans & squash are all good choices..I found with Angel tho, her belly can't handle them, it's like it's too rich for her...

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Mine have some issues with broccoli, too, though I've fed it raw; steamed may help matters a bit.  

Most "human-safe" veggies are OK to feed - onions are generally best avoided, as are the green parts of potatoes and tomatoes.  In most cases you wouldn't give any veggie every day; you want variety, because different foods have different nutrients/combinations.  (This is the same reason it's recommended to rotate kibbles every few months.)  

If you're doing an elimination diet, though, you shouldn't be feeding any extras.  You feed one protein and one vegetable for several weeks, and then if the symptoms have cleared you add things back in one at a time.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Peas and green beans are big favorites in our house. I buy the frozen mixes with peas and carrots for some variety.  I avoid corn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts