Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, Henry was playing with a bug.  I was just going to tell him to leave it, when it stung him.  He moped around the house the rest of the day and had lots of very thick slobber.  Today he was vomiting, so I called the vet.  

The bug was called a velvet ant, aka cow killer ant because the sting is so painful.  Anyhow, Henry's foot was pretty swolen and doc said the sting spot looked like it was starting to get infected.  So we got some antibiotics and something for the tummy.  Doc said to keep an eye on it and come back if it's not gone in 7 days, but he's OK other than that.

Here's where you can check out the bug:  www.whatsthatbug.com/velvet_ant.html

Zhanna

p.s.
Henry's up to 58 pounds! :D

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Glad to hear he is ok....the link doesnt work though. Curious to see what this looks like. Chance got bit by something last night and yelped very loudly. But it looked like a bug bite and i know that it wasnt another animal

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
All these hazards in the summertime, makes you almost want to put our babies in a bubble.....Poor Henry, hope he's feeling better...Give that sweeyheart a big hug for me....

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Poor Henry, they sure look nasty, hope he feels better soon.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
oh wow those are funny looking. it looks like two of the little balls of fluff from a craft store pasted on to a stick!! i havent ever seen anything like this before.....hope i never do!! I hope henry starts feeling better soon

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
One thing that works excellent for venomous bites is available at Walmart.  It is called After Bite.  You can dab it on the bites after they happen.  It will draw out and neutrelize the bite immediately.  You just need to keep them occupied so they don't lick it off.  You can also spray Windex on it.  Just dont' let them lick to much of it.  It is the ammonia in these products that work.  I even used it on a scorpion bite on my big toe and the swelling was gone in two hours!  I always use this as my first response to a bite and also administer benadryl at 1 cap per 25 pounds of dog.

Nano

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well thanks guys! :)
Henry is feeling much better today. :D
I can't wait till his birthday!  I've already been buying gifts and planning the party.  The Texans are playing the Cowboys the night before, so the party may have to come a little later in the day. :wink:

Z

p.s.
How 'bout them Cowboys!  Whoop!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
[quote="sharonL\";p=\"22844":dyyjtnjf]It helps if you soak his foot in warm/hot (not to hot) water and epson salt!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
[quote="Mizorie";p="23064":zycjzvkz][quote="sharonL\";p=\"22844":zycjzvkz]It helps if you soak his foot in warm/hot (not to hot) water and epson salt!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts