Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me say that we love our little puppy.  He is a little over 12 weeks old.

I don't know if any one remembers my post but Tonka's behavior in the crate has not changed whatsoever.  He barks nonstop, cries, bangs against the cage...  It is horrible!  And, he will potty in the crate, stand in it or eat it.  

The housebreaking outside of the crate isn't going all that well either and it is very hard to keep him confined to an area.

Someone who used to be a breeder suggested that I talk to the vet about giving a little Benedryl before I put him in the crate.  Another person suggested a bark collar.

When I brought Tonka to the vet for the second round of puppy shots, the vet said that if Tonka doesn't calm down within a weeks time, that I should give him a call and he will tell me what to do.  I did ask him about the Benedryl but not the bark collar.  It is a little over a weeks time now, no better, so I will call him on Monday.

But I would appreciate any other advice.  Nothing that I have tried seems to work.  And now the pottying on top of the barking...  If I didn't love this puppy, I would have given him back "yesterday".

·
Registered
942 Posts
Bark collars don't correct the problem in the long run, they only stop them from barking when they wear it...or at least that's my experience.

Where is Tonka's kennel? Kaci used to pee and poo in her kennel weekly until we moved into our new house then she magicly stopped. Before her kennel was downstairs and we slept upstairs, now her kennel is in our room and we've had maybe one mess in 6 months.

What all have you tried to keep him calm in his kennel?

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I'm so sorry you're having a hard time!  Poor little guy.
We've never had crate problems, so I don't really know what to tell you.
Does he cry in the crate when he can see you, or when he can't see you?  Or both?  
Hmmmm . . . . I'm just puzzeled. :?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
These stubborn little babies can REALLY try our patience can't they???? Don't really think a bark collar is the answer, but thought I'd throw in my 2cents about the crate. We learned with Donner not to respond AT ALL when he had a night of temper tantrums in his crate. Don't try to correct or comfort him, in his mind ANY attention was good attention :D I agree with the crate being where he can see you, ours is in the bedroom. Lots of good posts on here about making it a "comfort zone" for him. Keep trying and Good Luck.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I would definitely try if it's at all possible moving the crate where he can see you...I would not use Benedryl to calm him, that's a cop out, I hate to say...It sounds like it's a behavior issue and if you play into it, Tonka will know that he can get his way with anything..He is testing you, puppies do that, so it's important that you show Tonka what you expect and that you are the leader and boss....I also would not use a bark collar on him, that also I think is a cop-out. Teach him that you won't tolerate the barking and the best way to do that is to ignore it, hard as it sounds.....

Outside the crate, keep him attached to you with his leash, that way he cannot roam and you are right there to correct him or simply grab him if he's getting ready to have an accident...

As frustrating as it gets at times, keep this in mind, Boxers are very intelligent and also very intuitive, your frustrations can be felt by Tonka and he can feed off of that as well.....

·
Registered
148 Posts
You should try short time periods in the crate 5 min then 10 and so on, give a treat after you take him out and give him lots of love.  For training always take him out the same door and put a bell on the door knobs.  Help him to ring the bell with his paw, when he is big enought he will ring the bell himself.  This worked for us.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
heres

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
AAHHH good point ky, forgot to add that Donners crate sides have always been covered too. I thought it made it more of his private space. LOL I'm another blonde, except mine comes out of a bottle these days to cover the grey. Maybe I'd better tell the hairdresser to let up on it a little HAHA.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CrazieKC\";p=\"38296 said:
Bark collars don't correct the problem in the long run, they only stop them from barking when they wear it...or at least that's my experience.

Where is Tonka's kennel? Kaci used to pee and poo in her kennel weekly until we moved into our new house then she magicly stopped. Before her kennel was downstairs and we slept upstairs, now her kennel is in our room and we've had maybe one mess in 6 months.

What all have you tried to keep him calm in his kennel?
I've never heard of a bark collar before until it was mentioned to me.  As for Tonka's kennel, it has only been either in the living room or the bedroom.  He is no better in either area.  I do lots of things to keep him happy in the crate with the exception of a fluffy bed because he would pee or poo on it.  He has his blanket, nylabones, stuffed animal...  He could care less about one of our t-shirts in with him.  He would only pee on it!  LOL

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DonnersMom\";p=\"38313 said:
These stubborn little babies can REALLY try our patience can't they???? Don't really think a bark collar is the answer, but thought I'd throw in my 2cents about the crate. We learned with Donner not to respond AT ALL when he had a night of temper tantrums in his crate. Don't try to correct or comfort him, in his mind ANY attention was good attention :D I agree with the crate being where he can see you, ours is in the bedroom. Lots of good posts on here about making it a "comfort zone" for him. Keep trying and Good Luck.
Tonka is definitely trying my patience!  I try to give him no attention at all when he is carrying on in the crate.  Hopefully, this is just a stage that will pass...  And I will still have my sanity (I hope) when it does!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
samsonsmom\";p=\"38343 said:
I would definitely try if it's at all possible moving the crate where he can see you...I would not use Benedryl to calm him, that's a cop out, I hate to say...It sounds like it's a behavior issue and if you play into it, Tonka will know that he can get his way with anything..He is testing you, puppies do that, so it's important that you show Tonka what you expect and that you are the leader and boss....I also would not use a bark collar on him, that also I think is a cop-out. Teach him that you won't tolerate the barking and the best way to do that is to ignore it, hard as it sounds.....

Outside the crate, keep him attached to you with his leash, that way he cannot roam and you are right there to correct him or simply grab him if he's getting ready to have an accident...

As frustrating as it gets at times, keep this in mind, Boxers are very intelligent and also very intuitive, your frustrations can be felt by Tonka and he can feed off of that as well.....

Yeah, I don't think that the Benedryl is the solution either.  To me, it seems to be a behavior issue.  I try not to play into it and no longer give in.  I let him bark away hoping that he will learn that I am the boss.  I think that Tonka is smarter than he lets on.  I think he knows exactly what he is doing!  

I tried the leash on in the house today and it seemed work well for me.  Tonka didn't care for it much.  LOL

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[quote="Alicia\";p=\"38349":5zyqqmnv][quote="Leesa\";p=\"38295":5zyqqmnv]He barks nonstop, cries, bangs against the cage...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[quote="Suchagirl\";p=\"38355":1r0badx7]You should try short time periods in the crate 5 min then 10 and so on, give a treat after you take him out and give him lots of love.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Angel wasn't real thrilled with me using the "umbilical leash" thing, but it worked well and she got usued to it..I actually only used it for a short time, then just let her drag it around the house, keep in mind tho this was an 18 mo old that had NEVER been potty trained.....

Definitely, if you can get the divider up in the crate, that could help as well...You want the crate big enuf for them, but not so big that they have tons of room to use one end as their toilet....

·
Registered
278 Posts
I agree that I wouldn't use Benedryl or a bark collar.  He's not doing this to annoy you, something is bothering him.  Jaxon barked for about 2 weeks each night we would put him in his crate for the night.  He was in our bedroom right beside me where he could clearly see me.  It didn't matter, he wanted ME.  I put a nice lambskin crate pad on the floor and a few soft blankies..didn't matter, he wanted mom.  We ignored him and he'd eventually fall asleep.  We have to take him out immediately before bed or he'll wake us up at 5 a.m. whining to go out.  Now he can make it from 10:30ish to 7 a.m.  He has never peed or pood in the crate though.  My understanding with that is if they do, the crate is too large.  If that's not the issue though, I would treat it just as a child who does this, as something is really upsetting him.  How do you crate him for the night?  Do you offer him the chance to go in himself or "push" him in.  I don't mean that to be rude, but I know a lot of people don't have the patience or aren't aware that it's a fairly easy taught behavior.  Jaxon actually stopped the crying at night once he learned the "crate" command.  Now he gets excited when we tell him "crate".  He knows he's getting a treat and he's getting positive praise.  I also would work with Tonka when you don't intend to crate him for long.  Say when you're home tell him crate, praise or treat at even the slightest step into the crate, put him in the rest of the way and praise.  Let him stay crated for only a few minutes at first and praise like crazy when you open the door.  Work up to longer durations as he's doing better in the crate.

Good luck with him!  It's frustrating but well worth it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts