Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor Lucy still has diarrhea! My vet wants her on another round before he tests again for the Giardia so we are now on the third round of Metronidazole 500mgs...I have switched her to a bland diet (chicken, rice, and pumpking mixed with the Nutro Chicken, rice, and oatmeal puppy food which she has been on for a week now. It really started to look better and almost had a normal stool then this morning, diarrhea again - gosh, I am so frustrated!!!

·
Registered
578 Posts
I was going through the exact same thing w/ Fredo. The last test was negative for giardia (this time) but he still had runny stool. I finally changed his food to blue buffalo and so far he's doing much better.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
If giardia comes back negative, I would suggest changing foods.  Charlie has had loose stool issues and we've done good with Solid Gold.  Another food I researched is Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Stomachs.  I know what your thinking, as was I, but it's a good food.  It scored a 94A!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FREDOSMOM\";p=\"50400 said:
I was going through the exact same thing w/ Fredo. The last test was negative for giardia (this time) but he still had runny stool. I finally changed his food to blue buffalo and so far he's doing much better.
Just curious - how often did your vet want to retest? I called mine on Friday to let him know we finished the meds but she still had diarrhea and he just refilled the meds for another 7 days and said he would retest after this round.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HannaBanana\";p=\"50420 said:
honestly the meds could be causing the runs too.
I was thinking that same thing too. Gosh, can't wait until this poor kid is meds free. I put her back on the Kaeopectate to see if it helps out.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[quote="HannaBanana\";p=\"50423":2mgrmi2g]There is a good think called "Fast Track GI".

·
Registered
3 Posts
My puppy just had a wicked case of Giardia, and I'd like to mention a couple of things....
1> She was only 2 months old at the time, and was prescribed Metronidazole.  After completeing the entire supply of medication, she still had Giardia.
2> My vet put her on Sulfasalazine 500mg.  He also stated he rarely, if ever, prescribes this med for puppies of her age. It is usually given to adult dogs with colitis.
3> It worked. Completely cleared up the pup in about 3 days.

Just a suggestion.........

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
sumya used to have runny  , mushy poop ALL the time, the only thing that stopped it was flagyl (sp?) and temporarily using a low residue food.. i hope that she feels better soon!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I personally think all puppies go thru their bout with the runs.  Whether on meds, have a digestive situations etc, even healthy pups will IMO go thru the runs.

One major reason I do belive in stress.  They are taking into a new environment, away from their littermates, etc.   So that inconsistancy can cause the upset stomachs.   Also the richness of the good food can take awhile for them to be aquainted with it.  I think it take a good full month of being on a certain food to see any results.    Many people are getting puppies that are on not so good of a diet.  Why, because when you have multiple mouths to feed many of you would be buying the family back steak deals and not t-bones.   So I think there is some transition time too.

Hanna had the worst runs when we got her.   Everything internally was fine, but just had to rotate around and find the right food.  Not soo cool with off white carpets and a dog with the runs.  About 3 months we finally found the right food.  Canidae was a perfect fit.  One is was cost friendly, yet still had grains that allowed her system to bind up creating glorious nuggets after months of pooppaste.   Like another post, it like winning a new car when you see your first solid duke.

So just give it time, be patient and you will find the right things that agrees with your boxer's belly.  However its always easier when the breeder is feeding the good stuff - Kash I have never had the runs with - for that  I am one happy mommy!!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
i was having the same problem with harley every time i give him cottage cheese.. but after taking that away and simply going with nutro ultra kibble... sometimes mixed with nutro ultra can food .. hes doing much better

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[quote="HannaBanana\";p=\"50440":wp66xmzo]I personally think all puppies go thru their bout with the runs.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Yes it took Vega a very longtime before her stools were firm on a consitent basis. I tried it all too, Slippery elm, pumpkin, cottage cheese, regular cheese, metronidazole, bland diet, change in food and yes it does get very frustrating and worrysome. Seemed like the meds and a combo of her food mixed with a 4 % fat large curd (less liquid) cottage cheese and a change in her treats finally seemed to help firm it up. Now she has been fine. I did notice it gets a little soft when we change her treats but nowhere near as bad as it was before. Perhaps try changing her treats too. not sure. But hang in there and I hope your pup gets better soon.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Yes it took Vega a very longtime before her stools were firm on a consitent basis. I tried it all too, Slippery elm, pumpkin, cottage cheese, regular cheese, metronidazole, bland diet, change in food and yes it does get very frustrating and worrysome. Seemed like the meds and a combo of her food mixed with a 4 % fat large curd (less liquid) cottage cheese and a change in her treats finally seemed to help firm it up. Now she has been fine. I did notice it gets a little soft when we change her treats but nowhere near as bad as it was before. Perhaps try changing her treats too. not sure. But hang in there and I hope your pup gets better soon.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
It took Vega a very longtime before her stools were firm on a consitent basis. I tried it all too, Slippery elm, pumpkin, cottage cheese, regular cheese, metronidazole, bland diet, change in food and yes it does get very frustrating and worrysome. Seemed like the meds and a combo of her food mixed with a 4 % fat large curd (less liquid) cottage cheese and a change in her treats finally seemed to help firm it up. Now she has been fine. I did notice it gets a little soft when we change her treats but nowhere near as bad as it was before. Perhaps try changing her treats too. not sure. But hang in there and I hope your pup gets better soon.

G

·
0 Posts
sorry I can't help...Jetta has never once had diarrhea..and Bo only had it the first day...we added pumpkin and he's fine now...sorry

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Also keep in mind that the Giardia will only show positive on a test if they are shedding them at the time the test is given....Which kind of stinks because they can test negative yet still have them.  Metronidazole is flagyl I have seen really good success giving this in additional to panacur wormer.....Dont let the vet just do refills....Even though it can take several treatments to clear it up, they should be willing to look into other routes if you are three and four times into treatment....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts